Are you a blood donor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Used to when I was at Uni but then I went and had to "withdraw" some, possibly more than I had paid in, so now I am unable to donate unfortunately.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I did on a half yearly basis since I was 18 but it all stopped when I was given blood after a road accident.

I still take comfort in the fact that the government still bleed me dry every day!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I give blood but haven't for a while.

I'm in the Rhesus bloodgroup, or RhD+, which is Rhesus "D" positive.

The army bollocked me (typical) because D wasn't on their database, even though it's on my donor card.

It might be unusual, not really sure.

Liam

p.s. googling now...

p.p.s. none the wiser really...

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I give blood but haven't for a while.

I'm in the Rhesus bloodgroup, or RhD+, which is Rhesus "D" positive.

The army bollocked me (typical) because D wasn't on their database, even though it's on my donor card.

It might be unusual, not really sure.

Liam

p.s. googling now...

p.p.s. none the wiser really...

Rare enough that I've never heard of it. For whatever that's worth. The only four blood types I've heard of are:
1. A (Pos or Neg)
2. B (Pos or Neg)
3. AB (Pos or Neg)
4. O (Pos or Neg)

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Like John, I also got my little silver badge a long time ago, but illness now also precludes me. I'm AB Resus- without the 'D' antigen, whatever that means. My understanding is that, if I were to be checked by a blind flebotomist they would automatically assume that I was of non caucasian extraction.

Strangely, I'm not, and have no idea where this strange group entered the family line. My mother, however, always claimed to have had an 'interesting' war!!!!!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I should be a donor, but my first experience of giving blood was so terrible I vowed never to go back!

I lay down on the bed, had the tube put into my arm, and the nurse then left the room. after about ten minutes i was feeling very faint, but thought it normal. When the nurse eventually came back into the room she stopped dead with a look of horror on her face. It turned out that she hadn't connected the tube up properly at the other end to the collection bag on the floor and there was a huge puddle of my blood spreading out underneath the bed. I was too faint to leave the bloodmobil for ages! (and no one got the benefit of my blood!).

Logically, this happening shouldn't prevent me going back, but it does kind of put you off.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I should be a donor, but my first experience of giving blood was so terrible I vowed never to go back!

I lay down on the bed, had the tube put into my arm, and the nurse then left the room. after about ten minutes i was feeling very faint, but thought it normal. When the nurse eventually came back into the room she stopped dead with a look of horror on her face. It turned out that she hadn't connected the tube up properly at the other end to the collection bag on the floor and there was a huge puddle of my blood spreading out underneath the bed. I was too faint to leave the bloodmobil for ages! (and no one got the benefit of my blood!).

Logically, this happening shouldn't prevent me going back, but it does kind of put you off.

Blimey!

These days you could have sold that story to the papers, sued them dry and then retired...

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I used to when I was at Uni then moved to OZ and they woudn't take my blood (fear of Mad cows) and I havent got round to giving blood again back here. Its on my list of things to do just need to get my ars3 gear and do it. I'm O+.

Quick Mad cows joke:
2 cows are talking in the field. 1st cow says to the other "Are you worried about this Mad Cows disease?" 2nd cow replies "Doesn't bother me, I'm a helicopter"

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Oh there's loads of flaws with the sample size, relation to the mean and all that statistical stuff, but we don't have loads of people posting "No".

I still reckon that if there was a way to sample and get a response from the entire membership, then the "Yes" would be a higher proportion than say the population as a whole?

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I was a donor for nearly forty years. Made it to 76 donations but am now on various medications which means they won't take me for five years after I've stopped.

Still miss the attentions of a nurse a couple of times a year!

Gareth

A+ if anyone is interested. Boring I know.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Oh there's loads of flaws with the sample size, relation to the mean and all that statistical stuff, but we don't have loads of people posting "No".

I still reckon that if there was a way to sample and get a response from the entire membership, then the "Yes" would be a higher proportion than say the population as a whole?

Yeah, could well be.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The rules have changed and a man can now give blood every 3 months, Santaman2000 check with blood downer web sit, unless I have got it wrong/

Reg
Rum

Just lifted this from the Florida Blood Services website Q&A section:

"How often can one give blood?
Regulations in the United States allow people to donate whole blood once every 56 days. The waiting period between donations can be different for other blood components. For example, donating only platelets in a process called apheresis requires only a 3 day wait before a person can give again. Donating two units of red blood cells through a similar process doubles the waiting period to 112 days."

Doing the math, 56 days is 8 weeks.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to when I was at Uni then moved to OZ and they woudn't take my blood (fear of Mad cows) and I havent got round to giving blood again back here. Its on my list of things to do just need to get my ars3 gear and do it. I'm O+.

Quick Mad cows joke:
2 cows are talking in the field. 1st cow says to the other "Are you worried about this Mad Cows disease?" 2nd cow replies "Doesn't bother me, I'm a helicopter"

An old couple were in a French steak house and when the waiter took thier order the old gentleman said, "I'll have a steak please; blood rare." The waiter asked. "But Messuir, what about ze Mad Cow!?" The old man replyed, "Just bring her a salad."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE