Arctic Survival Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Barry Smith

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows of any Arctic Survival/Bushcraft courses in Europe. I was thinking of Sweden, Finland, Norway etc.

I have done the Fundamental Bushcraft and Journeyman with Woodlore and they are great courses. I have always had my eye on their Arctic experience, but with a new mouth to feed in the house, £2000 plus flights is too expensive.

So does anyone know of an alternative? Perhaps some of our European members know of a similar course in their countries?

Look forward to hearing.

Thanks

Barry

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
There is a cheap but very good course in sweden for about 200 Euro if I remember right. I am in school now and will have to find the link at home tonight when i am back. Its organised by the swedish survival association.
Check tonight this thread and I put up the link.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Here is the link to the swedish arctic survival course:

click here

on the left side you will have to click on "Utbildning"
then
click on Kursbeskrivningar

there you get all of their courses

There should not be a problem to attend as a english speaking person.

The price is very good for people without a lot of money:

Only 2 500 swedish kronor for 8 days

cheers
Abbe

B

Barry Smith

All.

Thanks for the info. I have followed up on the Swedish courses and will let you know the outcome for anyone else that is interested.

Many thanks

Barry

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
I think Tamarack are doing one in 2007 in Sweden

The Arctic Trail

The Arctic Trail Course is run on the Swedish/Finland Border some 250KM north of the Arctic Circle. Temperatures can range from + 5 to minus 40 degrees and this course aims to provide the tools to survive safely in this kind of environment.

Based initially from Swedish Kota accommodation the course will take you through the practicalities of Arctic clothing and equipment, moving comfortably in sub zero temperatures, construction of natural shelters and Trapping and Hunting for food. The course culminates in a 3 day trip into the wilderness. The itinary can vary a little depending on weather but will include:

Correct Attire and movement in the cold
Safe use of cutting tools
Fire lighting, lays and safety
Natural Shelter building
Cooking over an open fire
Hunting, Trapping and Ice Fishing
Dealing with Game from Fish to reindeer
The Reindeer
All food will be provided while on the course.

Minimum age for attendance is 18 years old

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hey Abbe Thanks for the Sweddish survival site link and as cyclingrelf says, it is good fun filling in the gaps. If it was me I would make sure I was learning from the locals who ever I went with.

I think it was stuart wrote on a thread once that you wouldn't go to someone who lives in the uk to learn about the desert or something like that (please correct me if I'm wrong Stuart) in other words learn from the people who live there already.

Good luck Barry let us know how you do, I would love to do the same but the old bones are getting too brittle to handle the cold

Chris :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
chris said:
European based arctic training, cheaper than the 2grand price tag of other courses!!!

I'll second skankers reccommendation, have a look on their website for their arctic course http://www.uksurvivalschool.co.uk/courses-and-activities.htm

Chris :)

Its important to check with them that they have enough people and do the course for sure, otherwise you end up with a ticket to Kiruna and nobody comes.
The safest bet is that a english group leader would organise a group buy of that course, so the boys cant bail out.

Two years ago I booked and as I live in the same area I didnt need to buy a air ticket. Couple of weeks before the course should be hold they blew the wistle and called the show off. No problem for me as we all got our money back. Bad for the people from abroad as they had a ready booked ticket they could not turn back.

The courses I heard are great and cheap and tuff. So call the guy and ask him how many people he needs to hold the course. Then get the people yourself so he cant bail out.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE