Arctic Expedition Feb 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
We drove up to that area 3 weeks ago, absolutely stunning scenery - those going will have plenty of food for the eye, as well as a good bushcrafting experience. :)

The weather is a trifle warmer along that coastal strip of Norway, than it is in northern Finland. I doubt temps will drop much below -20°C, which is a good temperature to be outside in :) The lower temps across in Finland at that time of year can be painful if you're outside for more than a couple of hours.

Would advise investing in winter boots though. Not only do they have nice cosy linings, they also have an insulated sole (something you don't get with walking boots). Also, walking boot soles are rubbish if you're on ice - you need softer rubber underfoot (one big mistake many foreigners make here in the cold north, is to arrive with "tough soles for the tough climate, you can see them slipping on their bums every winter :) ). My recommedation would be something like this for around 90 euro (price in Finland from local hardware store, am sure they must be available mail order):

http://www.sievi.com/index.php?sivu...ts&PHPSESSID=e389ad0ed71ade289707c9c8d7d99243

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
The powers that be at work have dictated that I take a week off in Feb, they got the right week for a change :)

So can you add my name to the list please.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
With getting there it's up to you guys how you would do it, for some the added hassle but going cheap is the decider and others it's the lack of hassle and time that decides things.

I'm not going to get involved in the booking of things like flights, that's beyond what i'm in for although we 'll keep a look out for info etc and help where we can but that will only be heads up info. I do think the group booking is the way to go if it makes financial sense and it's always good to travel with mates :D

The RV point will be Bardufoss arrivals hall 15:30hr on the 14th (i'll add that to the details above)

Jonnytheboy speaks wisdom :D We'll worry about the group size when we need to, we can run another one if we need to, that's already been sorted. I'm not sure of group/instructor ratios, i'll find out but i'm completely confident that it's covered as we've discussed brining in more instructors as appropriate, BE have a fantastic reputation. Remember though that even if it's a larger group size the workshops etc will not be larger, the group will be divided into smaller groups with instructors so that quality is maintained, if there's a lecture that would be in a larger group but hands on would not, that sort of thing.

All this is premature though until we've got real commitment. I'm not going to put up any info on deposits etc until after the Moot which i'm preparing for now and feeling very hassled time wise :D I'll see some of you there no doubt.

Thanks for that info susi, those temperatures aren't so bad, had a lot colder when i lived in Canada, this is going to be a great trip :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Names to go:

Tony Bristow
Phill Grant
Chris the Cat
Atross
Gailainne
Littlebiglane
Stretch3144
Korvin Karbon
Jaysurfer
Firebringer
Matthew.Passmore
Johan Hoogendijk (NL)
Marc Smeehuijzen (NL)
ddokkum (NL)
littlefolker
dardar (IRL)
knobby norway(uk)
Barry Smith (barryasmith)
Chris Hall (care of barryasmith)
johnnytheboy (john forret)
Nightjar (Philip Henderson) (Northern Ireland)
Leonidas
Geoffrey McMullan
Adam Logan (UK)
David Taylor (UK)
dave davies (Wales)
5.10leader
Greg
Jif (John Graham)
Gary Nimmo (care of barryasmith)
Robevs73 - Robert Evans (Llanelli carmarthenshire)
felden - Russell Fielding
Glen

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Add me in to the list as well then - save final updates etc....

Like I said, last time was great, and I expect this time to be just as good!!

Tony Bristow
Phill Grant
Chris the Cat
Atross
Gailainne
Littlebiglane
Stretch3144
Korvin Karbon
Jaysurfer
Firebringer
Matthew.Passmore
Johan Hoogendijk (NL)
Marc Smeehuijzen (NL)
ddokkum (NL)
littlefolker
dardar (IRL)
knobby norway(uk)
Barry Smith (barryasmith)
Chris Hall (care of barryasmith)
johnnytheboy (john forret)
Nightjar (Philip Henderson) (Northern Ireland)
Leonidas
Geoffrey McMullan
Adam Logan (UK)
David Taylor (UK)
dave davies (Wales)
5.10leader
Greg
Jif (John Graham)
Gary Nimmo (care of barryasmith)
Robevs73 - Robert Evans (Llanelli carmarthenshire)
felden - Russell Fielding
Glen
Agile

Nightjar

May 19, 2009
Belfast
I noticed that the independent newspaper has Ron Thompson thermal boots for sale at about £20, apparently they have been tested in Sweden to -40 C.

I am a bit reluctant as I bought a well designed buit badly made Ron Thompson jacket which had to go be returned,:bluThinki any thoughts??

Philip

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Hi Philip

My thoughts:

- normal walking boots are fine in temps down to -15 celsius (with a wooly sock)

- at least for me, it's more important to have a soft rubber sole, if the ground you're on will be icey

- if iwas going to be in -40, i wouldn't trust boots at 20 pounds, sale or otherwise.

- if there's a budget of 20 pounds, i would be looking for something slightly more insulated than a walking boot, but with a soft rubber sole.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
These sort of boots were recommended to me by instructors and they are perfect for the job.
Very grippy, very very warm, a removable liner easy to dry, and waterproof and breathable. Flexible too with the materials and lacing. No need to pay much more than £40 new, unless the apperance is an issue.

There is loads of fishing boots like this to choose from, and they are identical to the very expensive ones labeled as suitable for the arctic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Size-9-Wy...s_ET?hash=item4a99562161&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
These sort of boots were recommended to me by instructors and they are perfect for the job.
Very grippy, .....snip....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Size-9-Wy...s_ET?hash=item4a99562161&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Quote from your ebay link:

- Tough rubberised base and moulded tread.

This is exactly what you don't want if you're on ice you're on ice (see what I wrote further up the page). But I'll pull out of the thread as far as giving footwear advice, and wait until the expeditioners return, and ask how many came back with bruised bum or (more painful and potentiallyserious), a bruised coccyx :)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I would avoid ron tompson everything, there stuff is junk, i have seen hundreds of pairs of waders leak around ging gang goolly region in the past decade whilst my cheapo snowbee ones have been fine.

Nevertheless, Holidays have been approved by my General Manager, so i'm ready, when do we pay deposits etc, sooner the better for me, before we are all skint before and after xmas.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Quote from your ebay link:

- Tough rubberised base and moulded tread.

This is exactly what you don't want if you're on ice you're on ice (see what I wrote further up the page). But I'll pull out of the thread as far as giving footwear advice, and wait until the expeditioners return, and ask how many came back with bruised bum or (more painful and potentiallyserious), a bruised coccyx :)

Fair enough, but when I was on the site there wasnt much ice, just tons of snow, and I dont remember falling over much. Guess I was lucky with the type of snow and weather.
The boots I had were like the ones in the link and the sole was tough but not as hard wearing as my walking boots. The nobbly bits on the bottom were slightly flexible.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
One thing I would like to share with everyone, is that ensure your gaiters fit around the mountain boots, and the trousers you are wearing. I took the only pair of gaiters I have to the arctic, and ended up with no snow in my boots, but a very tight fit (hardly ideal to keep the circulation going).

Ag

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Apres ski boots are good enough for up there, I bought some for £25 in Oswald Baileys and they were fine. Salopette legs just go over the top.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE