Anyone speak other languages?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
been learning norwegian for nearly a year now with a learn norwegian book and cd. also watch as much norwegian films and mostly listen tae swedish music which can be very similar. spend most days rambling away tae myself...tis very rewarding!

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Since I arrived in France in 1987 we've spoken French home... (first wife French, second wife French & Canadian)

I tried to speak English as much as possible to my kids...but not always easy in a French speaking environment. The eldest did ok and is fluent, he is now reading chemistry at Cardiff uni....

My younger son has really good marks in English and understands most of what is said.... but we still mostly speak French.

My step-daughter despite being Canadian, refuses to speak English with me. She is though top of her class in English with virtually 20/20 marks.

cheers
Gareth

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Lived in Paris for 5 years, and became good as dammit fluent in the language.

I came back to the UK 6 years ago, and while a bit of rust obviously settles in I can slip back into it no problem.

I think that speaking another language to a proficient is really beneficial on a number of levels.

Alex

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Tá beagán Gaeilge orm, ach níl maith ar bith ann. Unless you want to be a Garda, member of government or a solicitor in Ireland.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can pronounce Welsh, but I don't know what it is that I'm saying.
I can count to ten in Russian (learned it in school) and know a few Russian words

Languages not my strong point.

I categorically do not speak Wife, and she doesn't speak Husband. Probably why we get along so well...

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
been learning norwegian for nearly a year now with a learn norwegian book and cd. also watch as much norwegian films and mostly listen tae swedish music which can be very similar. spend most days rambling away tae myself...tis very rewarding!

does watching the films and listening to the music help at all? That was another hint i read off the net, but id need to find Italian Rock bands coz i hateeeeeeee POP!!!!!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
as others have said, i used to speak a few different languages, namely Spanish, Italian, Russian & a smattering of Arabic, but since ive stopped travelling to those countries/areas of the world, the ability and need has dwindled somewhat, I did O level French at school and i cant remember a word of it now.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
does watching the films and listening to the music help at all? That was another hint i read off the net, but id need to find Italian Rock bands coz i hateeeeeeee POP!!!!!

i watched Monty Pythoins Life of Brian in Portugeese when i was working in Lisbon, one of the funniest things ive ever seen, strange thing was after a while, it did kind of make sense:) - Obligado

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Great thread by the way. I'm currently studying french at A level at school, its a subject that i've always had an aptitude for and was always a step ahead up til this year when it gets a lot harder. As far as the curriculum goes, i'm okay, as far as conversation in french goes, i can handle myself well. I wouldn't call myself fluent but I could have a good ol' chinwag with someone in french, I find it sort of comes naturally although I'd really like to try different languages, Japanese, Italian and Swedish are one that interest me particularly, for now though, i need to focus on getting a good grade in my A levels. Very interesting topic this.
cheers,

outdoorpaddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Libyan Arabic for me, father worked there when we were kids, many fond memories as the Libyan people are, despite media reports, very much like us. Apart from the polite stuff have forgotten a lot of it and can no longer read and write it.

Have spoken Japanese since the age of 12 and even though it lapses through lack of use at times, I can understand what's being said and then the brain kicks in. I can write a small amount and recognise a small number of characters - nursery level basically.

I found Spanish very easy and used to be fluent but struggle to reply as its very, very rusty although I can still understand most of it.

Born to blether...

Liam

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Word of warning to others tempted to learn another language. Your brain has a place reserved for it called the language centre. It has limited amount of space in there. Thus anything new you add to it such as another language something gets replaced/overwritten so expect your ability to remember English words to be great reduced..."

I'm not so sure about things being edged out through lack of space but things certainly fade from lack of use.

I speak French, enough to have a fairly detailed conversation about a persons ancestry and animal husbandry. I can navigate around towns, markets, bars and shops in several other European languages and I have spent the past six years learning Hungarian. Six years and I'll probably need another twenty before I am fluent. :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I speak Greek.
No where near correct but i can get myself understood.

After 12 years though my Greek should be better than it is, i just don't pick up languages easily though.

Me Mrs on the other hand learnt fluent Italian in 3 months, just shows me up more :lmao:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I am a Frankophile who lived in France for a long while, so not too bad.

I was told that you only need three phrases in any language to get by:
-How much?
-Too much.
-I pay tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE