Anyone own a Wood Gas stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Hi guys, as the title says does anyone own a Wood Gas stove?
I have just bought one of them from fleabay, pretty impressed with it tbh. I just have one problem which is i don't have a pan for it. I'm looking for a pan with a lid that it will fit inside. Just wondered what you guys use with it?
Any suggestions, links etc would be much appreciated.
Don't have a budget but obviously don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks in advance
Ben

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have one that I use occasionally and it fits very neatly inside an MSR Stowaway pan with the fold over handle, and fits in a zebra billy too with room to put a brew kit in too, think the zebra was the 14cm one.

The stove I found good for boiling water, a bit fierce for other stuff but perfectly usable if you keep an eye on it. I've found it good too to use with a trangia burner, the stove acting as a windshield and also focusing the heat quite well, a good backup to have and the burner can stow in with the stove in the pan when not in use.

Cheers, Paul

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I love my wood gas stove, i use this pan set with it although i only ever use the big pan with the lid these days and the stove once packed down fits inside it with the lid on, frying pan sits on outside of both if you do want to take it along, i find i use the main pan as my cook pot and bowl 90% of the time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-C...210722?hash=item3ab0bbf362:g:2EkAAOSwgQ9V5Bnk

I was hoping you would reply Bod as I know you said you used one on your recent trip. That looks a nice little set and not to be sniffed at for that price. I do have a set similar to that but its not the 'non stick' type and it doesn't have a frying pan anymore due to the sausages welding themselves to it on my last trip out. How does the non stick coating fair? do they clean up quite easy?

Thanks Bilmo, I wondered which one of the Zebra ones would be a best fit, I'm still not sure about the billy type ones as i would think it would be awkward trying to pour from them, The msr one looks a good fit and nice and compact.

I have one that I use occasionally and it fits very neatly inside an MSR Stowaway pan with the fold over handle, and fits in a zebra billy too with room to put a brew kit in too, think the zebra was the 14cm one.

The stove I found good for boiling water, a bit fierce for other stuff but perfectly usable if you keep an eye on it. I've found it good too to use with a trangia burner, the stove acting as a windshield and also focusing the heat quite well, a good backup to have and the burner can stow in with the stove in the pan when not in use.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul, I try to avoid cooking food directly in my pans and try to mainly use boil in the bag type meals so it would be boiling water. does the woodgas fit in the msr pot while in its mesh bag or not in the bag?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've been using the woodgas stove and that pan set for every camping trip now for well over 18 months now, i take a half of a non stick scouring pad with me as part of my cleaning kit and the non stick is as perfect as it was on the first day of use i also only use a plastic spoon for stirring stuff in it, makes washing up time a doddle even in cold water like a river, no crusted on pans ever, i have fried everything from rabbit and trout to sausages and bacon in the frying pan before i stopped using it and it is still like brand new, i've mostly used the frying pan just on the coals of the big fire as i had the stew going on the woodgas with the other pan, to be straight up i was not expecting much for 8 quid but it has performed exceptionally well, when it eventually gives up the ghost i will buy another set

woodgas stove fits inside the pan inside it's mesh bag and inside a poly bag (so it doesn't dirty up the cleaned pan)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Same woodgas stove and pan set in use at Loch Lomond july 2014

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140729_155903.jpg
    20140729_155903.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 187
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks Bod that's great to know, you just never know with the cheaper pans weather they will last 2 minutes or not but it sounds like you have give them a bit of a hammering over the past 18 months and they have lasted. Its good to see it in proportion to the stove in your pic, it looks smaller than I thought. I have a smaller non stick cheapo pan that i got of ebay in about February which looks like the same kind of material that yours is made from and that is still as good as new. Suppose it just goes to show that you don't always have to pay alot for good quality.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
fits nicely in a bag inside a Mors pot with room for some ingredients or lihting kit.
. cant remember the size of mine unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
fits nicely in a bag inside a Mors pot with room for some ingredients or lihting kit.
. cant remember the size of mine unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I like the look of the 1.8ltr mors pots with the handles on the side and the bale arm on top but they are quite pricey from what i can see, the only uk supplier i've found on a google search is woodland ways and they want £39 for them. Wonder if there is any cheaper copies out there?

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'd add another vote for the msr stowaway pan. Is it the wild stoves wood gas stove you have? I think one of those will fit in the 750mls msr pan, though I have mine in the 1.2l version and pack a few bits and pieces in round it.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A Wildstoves woodgas stove will nest inside the smallest pot of the Millicamp 5 piece cookset
at just £5 for the set it's got to be a strong contender for any bushcrafter on a budget and I have been pleased so far with mine. Mind you they are a bit thin and dent
easily but that's a character adding bonus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE