Anyone make/sell Ammo Box Stoves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello all,

1st time poster, think I can talk the talk but still learning to walk the walk and green around the gills :p

I finally got the gumption up to take out my Polish lavvu tent over the weekend and I also packed a small wood burning stove I bought last year. I wish I left it at home now as the thing weighed a ton ( it's made/welded out of some really thick pipe, more use for a tiny shed really).

So now am thinking to see if I can get my hands on an ammo box. I've been coveting these for a long time but I have zero metal work/welding skills and would probably burn the house down, kill the cat and disfigure myself enough the Mrs won’t want anything to do with me if I attempted this myself.

I see lots of .50 cal boxes but think that could be too big for the lavvu if you have 2 people in it. So was thinking a .30 cal box could be the way to go with size, weight and compactness.

I would only need the box being fabricated as I already have a 50mm flue pipe from a piece of sheet titanium and sadly the pennies are a little tight right now otherwise I would probably plump for a trigoat stove.

So as the titles says do any of you chaps know anyone who sells these or indeed a similar type stove? My searches are not coming up with much in the way of sellers.

Cheers (and finally glad to be here).

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, welcome and enjoy.
Two people in the Polish lavvu, there won't be any room for a stove. :lmao:
I made this from a 5ltr olive oil can, no welding, just a few pop rivets. Have a go.
948.jpg 967.jpg 1429.jpg 970.jpg

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Cheers for that :)

My main concern when making something like this myself is the join between the main box and the flue pipe coupled with my inability to cut/glue/solder/stick/nail/bend/tape anything in a straight line ;) Not saying your can isn't but am also looking for something quite robust which will pack down nicely into my bergen (ok it's an "other arms" bergen right now) so legs being stored inside would be nice and my flue is only 200mm wide so that rolls really small. Plus wanting to use it in the evening would be nice so I am wary of co2 (yep I have a detector).

The Mrs is quite small so she can curl up quite tiny :)

Thanks though, food for thought and I always liek to see what other people can make.

Cheers again and thanks for the welcome.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I simply cut into the box with a thin-bladed angle-grinder - making cuts @: 12-6 o'clock, 2-8, & 4-10 - diameter of "circle" to suit your chosen chimney size.
Then bend up the segments until the chimney fits firmly over - seal with exhaust putty - or not.
A well-insulated chimney (eg wrapped with car-exhaust-type braid) ensures fast-flowing smoke = no leaks.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Thanks for the tips all.

Am starting to think I can maybe knock something up using pop rivets and exhaust sealant/putty

Will be looking on ebay for s me bits and pieces. To mind right now my shopping list would be:

ammo box
pop rivet gun and rivets
hack saw blade(s)
various sizes metal drill bits
long bolts and nuts for legs
square metal for door
door hinge
some sort of exhaust tube as the connector for the flue/chimney
grill to rest the wood/coals on

I've mainly been inspired by this chap now:

http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/ammo-can-stove.htm

Not a weld in sight :)

So I'll probably try to stay quite close to this "type" of build and all will be done to the wifes horror on the kitchen table (I have a garden but no shed/cave)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hi Guys,

I did reply last night but don't think it got past the moderator for some reason (attaching a pic of a naked dwarf proudly holding a hand carved spoon is a no no? :) - if the moderator can let me know why my last post didn't make it? maybe becuase I added a link to an external site of another guys stove build?)

So anyhow I am getting more inspired to now maybe build own, since the idea of using pop rivets and exhaust sealant/glue can answer my welding dilema :)

Most if not all that I need will be sourced from the internet.

My shopping list at the moment will be:

30 cal ammo box
Exhaust flange (connect box to flue)
Pop riveter (what type of pop rivets to get?)
Exhaust sealant (any particular type to get or stay away from?)
Metal plate for door
Hinge for door
Hack saw blades
Grill for inside keep wood of base)
Stove paint (any particular type to get or stay away from?)

The only other items I have a question mark for is the baffle and damper? Do I really need either or both?

Am thinking of using 1 of those drill bits that's like a tube with teeth to cut out a single large hole. The disc that it produces could then maybe fashioned as a damper.

Thanks again guys for your encouragement, this could be interesting as if the build happens 95% will be done on my kitchen tables with no vice or heat to make things pliable...my Mrs is going to get mad!

Cheers

PS: Let me know if I should start a new thread in a different section as now this is moving away from Resources I think?

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
Get yourself some fire cement its about a fiver from toolstation.
I made a gas bottle burner a few years ago without welding,used self tapping screws and angle braces for fixings. You can get them from toolstation to,dead handy to have around. Also can be used to make a simple latch .

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I think if you use a pop rivet gun then maybe see if you can get monell rivets, they are copper based. But as you suggested in a different thread maybe a steel bolt and but instead.

As for those circular type hole cutters, I may be wrong but I thought they were used to only cut wood. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
@ Boucaneer....we are chatting lots :)

Not updated this for a while mainly due to the fact not much time and had to buy some other bits and pieces for other things.

Am still 50/50 with using rivets, mainly for the reason am thinking about how the heat will affect them. Nuts and bolts can be re-tightend and maybe better fixed using 2 nuts per bolt.

The circular hole cutter does state it can cut through metal but will need to see how that goes, if it fails then I can always use a hacksaw blade.

For the inner grill I bought 4 x £land disposable BBQs. Not opened them yet but thinking I can use 2 (1 lay'd over the top of the other) for a bit if rigidity

One thing am not keen on trying is to separate the handle from the lid (just know I'll pull/punch holes). So will make the stove upside down so to speak. This means will still have the carry handle and can block up the pipe hole with cloth or whatever to stops ash/bits from falling out.

So what am I missing/needs to be done:

I've semi-sourced (found on ebay) the exhaust flange - a bit pricey and need to see if my local garage can either A: heat it and flatten the flared bit without splitting it or B: supply the flange as required.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280699896780?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Source the Door, Hinge, Exhaust sealant, Fire rope (think I want this now), stove paint. For the legs not decided weather to use long bolts or L-shaped brackets. (or 2 L brackets to make a C bracket).

Ohhh..and build the bloody thing :p

So in essence not moved very far.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
When I built my woodburner and wanted some exhaust pipe for the flue I went to my local quick fit. They were more than happy to let me root around in the scrap bin.
They even got the cutting torch out to chop of some odd shapes.
I just asked nicely, and stuck a fiver in their charity box.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Well not to worry, we're only talking about P'lavvu's and Ammo stoves. :)

Yes, I was thinking about the loosening of the nut bolts last night. I was going to suggest lock tight glue on the nut but it will burn off I'm sure.

The monell/copper rivets are hard to find unless you buy a hundred or 500 of them.

I haven't heard of problems from anyone using aluminium rivets yet, so maybe no problem. I do like the idea of making one with simple tools though, maybe I could convince myself a rivet gun is a simple tool. :)

I also like the carrying handle also, still to finalise my design for the stove as there options, upside down, sideways or different configurations.

I think I will just be fine with just a hurricane lamp, but it is a little luxury to have a wood burning fire in the evening, if you can call going wooding in the rain luxurious. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE