Anyone have a source for goose wing feathers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, I know its a weird question, but does anyone know where I can source some Goose wing feathers?

Fancy trying my hand at making some quills!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Might be able to get you some mate, got a load of Canadian Geese at the lakes presently and they leave masses of feathers around, i'll pick some up for you next time i go up there.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you Kepis - can you look for some from the left wing please? (seriously). I have a box of 3" magnum 54g :Wow::Wow:No 1 shot if it helps? :)

I'll give him a call Adze if I can't find a direct source!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thank you Kepis - can you look for some from the left wing please? (seriously). I have a box of 3" magnum 54g :Wow::Wow:No 1 shot if it helps? :)

I'll give him a call Adze if I can't find a direct source!

No prob, what i will do is collect a load up and put the whole lot in a box for you, what you dont use for quills, you can use for fletching, pass on to someone else, bin etc

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I have a few 100 Canadian Goose feathers sat in a box waiting to be used. Collected from around Rydal Water, Lake District. If you haven't mnaged to get hold of any I'll happily send you down a handful.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks both - a kind soul has posted me a few and Kepis has offered a few more so I'm covered for now :)

Never having cut a quill I don't know yet how much I should allow for "messing up" :eek:, so I may well avail myself of the kindness offered when I ruin my current supply ;)

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Why specifically left wing? I know archers use left wing because the curve forms a natural helix to help keep the arrow straight in flight, and as most people are right handed if there is any tendancy to twist the string on the draw it would be anti clockwise so left wing feathers would also turn the arrow in the same direction. But why left wing for quills.

Getting the tips hard without burning them is the art aparrently, I remember reading somewhere they used to use hot sand to stick them in once they had cut the end off but I dont recall how hot the sand had to be

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Yea, why the left wing? Maybe they fit the right handed better?

Colin, I heard that they used to pop the uncut quill-tip in the cooling sand, so that it tempers and makes the cuts take easier.

Me think's we are gonna have to get a tutorial from British Red. Infact I think I may join in with you in this one BR (If you don't mind), always wanted to do something with the feathers (apart from saving them to make a feathered cape out of!), this seems like the best opportunity (what with busted ankle keeping me almost house bound)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Exactly as suspected - left wing feathers curve appropriately for a right handed quill. Sure, join right in - I plan to make the ink as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE