Anybody know anything about hoards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If it was found as a single item then I don't think it is classed a treasure hoard. It may be an ex-museum piece, the british museum regulary auction off items like this at christies or southerbys to raise money and you can pick them up dirt cheap..... you can get whole boxes of coins for around a fiver ;-) ....

Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Unless the seller offers provenance that can be traced, there is no real way of telling. :cry:
His stuff is very expensive though, this lot never went through at a fiver a box.
TPTB back the "Presumption in favour of preservation in situ" scenario,and only where that is not possible, or excavation merited because of research, ought it be excavated and recorded by record. (i.e. excavate and record and interpret)
Good metal detectorists are worth their weight in gold. They are interested, knowledgeable and responsible.....bad ones I *really* hope fry themselves on their equipment :rant:
The artifacts aren't only valuable to anyone who digs them up, they are worth so much more when recorded in situ, given an honest provenance. It's all of our history, not just that for a few furtive foragers. (I'm being polite, it's a public forum!)

Okaay, deep breath Toddy, go and put the kettle on
:cup: :plate: .....it's Jaffa cakes tonight :)

Toddy

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
CD I cant vouch for authenticity but you be amazed how cheap this stiff is --- I have a small collection of roman brooches and coins which didnt cost me much, I even have a very nice romanobritish folding knife handle caste in a hunting scene with hounds chasing a hare!

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
There is a huge amount of stuff around in bad condition (I don't know much about antiques as I collect Roman and British coins) but I think he is either making a mistake or he is lieing: that looks more like a thors hammer to me, and therefore is not celtic, he would know that if he was a dealer wouldn't he?

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE