any suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
Hi there , i am new to this forum and in need of some help from people with experience and in the know. My problem is i wish to buy a new bushcraft knife and my budget is £150, i currently have a mora and a pukko but would like a nice handmade knife to last me for many years.Can anyone advise me of where i can get a good quality knife for this price that is functional and pleasing to the eye. And perhaps you could say what knife you use and what i should be looking for .thanks for your help

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Have a look at Robevs73 knives, particularly the bushtool. There has recently been a couple on the "makers Market" and a review on here.

I have one and can reccommend it and Rob.

There a few reputable makers on here and £150 can buy a lot of knife

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
thanks for advice mate, il look into this and see what there like , im hoping £150 will get me something descent. i was looking at A.Wright knives but they look mass produced and i liked the knives i saw on newforest bushcraft site but dont know if there any good ,if anyone has any info on these blades then that would be helpful to.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
oh so many to choose from, what are you after stick tang or full tang?
if your after full tang i would recomend a Bernie Garland bushcrafters, its quite unique among other full tang bushys in the fact that it has a curved belly, this means the wood naturaly goes into the blade for enhanced cutting ability, i love mine

0072.jpg

another maker i would highly reccomend would be duncan (FGYT), his blades are exceptional for design and quality

greyfeildwoods031.jpg

if your after a stick tang i would go for somthing with a precision tempered blade, like this one i made for myself.

022.jpg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
thanks for advice mate, il look into this and see what there like , im hoping £150 will get me something descent. i was looking at A.Wright knives but they look mass produced and i liked the knives i saw on newforest bushcraft site but dont know if there any good ,if anyone has any info on these blades then that would be helpful to.

the A wright and son knives are ok, but for the price you can get better, the blades are a little too thick at 5mm so cutting with them isnt as smooth as with a thinner blade.

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
im after full tang mate , some cracking knives there , i thought about bennie garland blades but dont think i can get a bushcrafter for £150 from him, i will look up FGYT blades and see what there like , thanks for the info mate

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
just had a look on the makers market and there are some stunning knives on there , unfortunately the one i like was already sold , i will be watching for any new ones that come available in the near future , is it possible to order a knife made to spec from these guys or do i just wait to see what comes up .

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You can order something made to your specifications from a lot of different makers, but by the sound of it you might be best off 'playing the field' for a while to find out what you like best. There's a lot more to it than just how it looks. Different people use tools in many different ways for many different jobs. Things like edge profile can make a huge difference to how the knife feels when you use it, but they aren't necessarily obvious in a photo. If you're on a limited budget you could spend a lot of money on something that you find after all you don't like very much.

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
i see where your coming from mate , and your right , its my fear that i get a knife and dont love it as it will be to late by then. Its hard to know what will suit as i cant really get a hands on feel for them until its mine really. i will take on board what your saying regarding how it looks as its not much use if it looks great but dont perform that well.the search goes on.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Two names:

Karl-Erik Lindblad, member on here too
http://knives.dreamlandproject.se/index1.htm

Pasi Hurttila, blacksmith, crftsmane and wilderness guide.
http://www.hurttilanpaja.suntuubi.com/?cat=1

both can make you full-tang knives in your price range.

Karl-Erik drew his own styles, you can see it on his homepage and here
http://knives.dreamlandproject.se/sharkno3detalj.htm
http://knives.dreamlandproject.se/dolphinno2detalj.htm
http://knives.dreamlandproject.se/nr89detalj.htm

and Pasi will forge it out of your specs. This is a woodie style knife he's finishing in these dais, just to give you an idea.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
That sort of money could get you one, several, or a nominal deposit, depending on what (and who) you go for.

First off, what do you use your knife for and how do you use it ?

Big questions.

Do you baton or do you mainly slice ?

Identifying your requirements is your first big step forward.

Kellam Wolverine can do it all and has about the best grip of any production knife. Or you might be deleriously happy with an Enzo blade and put your own handle slabs on for under half of your budget.

You need to be pretty sure of your requirements before you get your wallet out, so discuss this aspect first which will act as a natural filter to help identify suitable solutions :D

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Can't recommend what I haven't tried, and I've been most pleased with my Bark River Liten Bror. They're sort of a semi-custom company, they do production runs of each model one at a time with lots of handle scale variations, and you can preorder different modifications with the dealers. Knivesshipfree.com have the best selections, usually.

This is mine;

P1000435.jpg

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
im going to look at the suggested sites and see whats on offer , i use my knifes for fishing and camping ,splitting wood ,gutting rabbits and fish and anything else that may arise,thing is as you a bit older and have a bit more cash about i like to up the quality of my gear as i feel ive earned it and would like something nice instead of just something that will do the job.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i use my knifes for fishing and camping ,splitting wood ,gutting rabbits and fish and anything else that may arise ...

I think you're well on the way to starting a collection... :)

Incidentally I bought one of Karl-Erik's knives for my wife. As it was for a birthday present I was a bit fussy, and Karl-Erik was most helpful throughout. At no extra charge he made the sheath in black (my wife likes pretty much everything to be black) instead of the brown one shown in the photos. Karl-Erik is a real gentleman, and he does a very nice job at a good price.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I would hover on the Members Classifieds and you will pick up a bargain if you are quick. I bought a couple of very nice as-new BG bushcrafters for about £120 each on there - one with the curved belly blade and one with the Woodlore style blade. I also picked up a superb wooden handled F1 for about the same money. No need to commission a new one unless you want something very specific. Plenty of people on here have too many superb knives and are always selling them on.

NS

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
yep your right , i will be keeping my eyes open and hope something comes up, il keep searching in the meantime as the money is burning a hole in my pocket .

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Try Adam of JLT knives, his work is excelent, and he's a top bloke to deal with.

Rob

ill second that, Adam is a brilliant bloke to deal with.

i would also suggest ben orford, his take on the woodlore design has a very comfortable handle, however it might be a bit more expensive than others.

i would also say that rob E makes some very top quality knives.

pedro68

Mar 4, 2011
scotland
i just checked out the jlt knifes and like the profile of the woodsman knife, please keep the suggestions guys as im getting loads great of advice and info here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE