Any martial arts enthusiasts here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to do the odd bit of Martial Arts - until the day a minor sparring incident left me with the left side of my face paralysed! And the blow did not even put me on the floor!
I now do the occassional bit of Tai Chi.......

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I love the martial arts. I started with Shotokan karate (to 1st Dan) when I was a boy and have tried various forms including Capoira and TKD. I've finally found my groove now with Muay Thai for the last few years. It seems to suit my build and it has none of the kata that I used to find tedious in karate. Also the thai kicks are so much more simple and effective that any karate or TKD kick.

If you want to see some world class Muay Thai, do a you tube search for 'Buakaw'. He's amazing.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ive dabbled for years in various martial arts, including jujitsu ( trad not bjj) , some karate,wing chun, tai chi and a few others. I'm not into the whole grading thing .With the exception of the Tai Chi I wanted to learn what worked far more than to get myself a new belt ( and pay for the privilege). Many black belts have been battered senseless by untrained thugs.

I ended up becoming heavily into the "reality based self defence" scene ( whatever that may actually be) . Gradually I came to believe that less is truly more, a few well learned techniques that you are able to apply to a variety of situations under stress will serve better than a hundred that are less well understood - in my view at least.

I also came round to the concept of managing the "fight" way before it becomes a fight, awareness , avoidance, pre contact, defusion etc, with other options opening up should those fail.

I love the artistry of the martial arts , but for me many are no longer the fighting systems they once were, at least not as they are taught today in MOST clubs.

In an ideal world I would find a club I can get to that teaches either silat or some form of filipino martial arts, I'm fascinated by the manner in which one move empty handed can also be the same move with a stick etc.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I do Tai Chi for the relaxation - the tai in (geddit) to buschcraft is that the stepping you do in Tai chi seems perfect for moving quietly through a wood.

If you want practical self defence you could try ATTACKPROOF.COM (not that I have)

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Tai chi is probably the best self defence going to be honest. Heart desease and stress related illness kill more of us than anything else, and Tai Chi is a great way to combat stress .

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Tai chi is probably the best self defence going to be honest. Heart desease and stress related illness kill more of us than anything else, and Tai Chi is a great way to combat stress .

Fully agree - I find it really relaxing - especially the 24 once you get the sequence about right. Somebody I know had a go after years of Yoga and they really liked it - but said it was the most difficult thing they had ever done in terms of remembering the sequences. I have been doing for only 2 years and so still nowhere near proficient - to do it properly is a lifetime's mission

In terms of fighting - forget it - better to avoid trouble/talk your way out of it/run away

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE