Any fans of Rohan out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I guess I have been in search of the ideal windshirt/smock since time immemorial and I have the montane featherlight, buffalo windshirt and paramo fuera amongst my collection but I think I may have found what I am looking for as I took delivery of a Rohan Goa top I won on Ebay recently. It is discontinued I believe but old Rohan never dies, I have a much repaired pair of bags out there and an airlight shirt from the 1980's.

I don't know about the water repellency yet but I expect I will get a chance to find out soon enough, but what I like about it is that although it is a bit heavier and less packable/scrunchable than the other offerings, it does not feel like a crisp packet to wear and is actually comfortable against the skin. It is also longer, comes below the waist and has a full set of kangaroo pockets.

I expect it will soon become a favourite of mine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like Rohan's clothing for HWMBLT and Son1 who are both hard on clothing. It's expensive though, but the sales are pretty good :D
Himself's still wearing (and it still looks really good) a reversible fleece that's at least ten years old.

cheers,
M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yes - got a fair bit of Rohan stuff, including Bags that are 20-odd years old and still going strong. Much tougher than they look, not waterproof - at least the Bags - but dry very quickly, either on you or hung up. Expensive, but last for ages!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I used to love the old Rohan stuff, not so keen on the more recent designs but that's personal preference and they still have a good reputation for quality. I have one last pair of Bags which are sadly pretty much worn out, and I followed those up with some Ex Officio lightweight trousers which have also done very well. I also have a couple of Rohan's old insulated tops from right back when they first started but I rarely use those now, I really should get around to Ebaying them.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I use a lot of Rohan stuff and have got 2 windshirt type tops. Really comfy, surprisingly hard wearing, windproof showerproof, lots of pockets. Great for what I want o do . Not ideal if you are doing tough rough jobs!

Mine are several years old, worn a lot and lasting really well.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got 3 or 4 pairs of the walking trousers (uplanders can't remember the name of the others) great troos dry really quickly..

Sent from somewhere?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I walked around Europe wearing a pair of Rohan Goa's in the nineties and in those days Rohan produced what appeared to be a thick wooly jumper but it was wholly artificial, it could be washed in a sink, wrung and worn dry in half an hour. Great travel clothes.

These days I mostly use their polo shirts for work, again hard wearing and easily cleaned and dried.

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Used to be, and still have quite a lot of their stuff. It's got rather expensive, IMHO, and their old "function over form" mantra has been abandoned. Anyway, for those who don't know, they have do seconds/samples sales in their Milton Keynes shop, where you can get the occasional bargain.

Reactions: ESpy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I guess I have been in search of the ideal windshirt/smock since time immemorial and I have the montane featherlight, buffalo windshirt and paramo fuera amongst my collection but I think I may have found what I am looking for as I took delivery of a Rohan Goa top I won on Ebay recently. It is discontinued I believe but old Rohan never dies, I have a much repaired pair of bags out there and an airlight shirt from the 1980's.

I don't know about the water repellency yet but I expect I will get a chance to find out soon enough, but what I like about it is that although it is a bit heavier and less packable/scrunchable than the other offerings, it does not feel like a crisp packet to wear and is actually comfortable against the skin. It is also longer, comes below the waist and has a full set of kangaroo pockets.

I expect it will soon become a favourite of mine.
Ten years on, how did you get on with it? Has it stood the test of time?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I tried it decades ago. My problem with it was the skinny style just didn’t suit me. I used the tropical jacket for a while but again you wouldn’t want long sleeves under it. OK “Out there” but bloody cold back in Manchester.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Huge fan old old Rohan, loved the Strider breeks and did all my Alpine and Winter climbing for years in their old salopettes.
Then they moved into travel wear and got even more costly and less outdoor focussed.
Did have A windproof top which I rock climbed in for years, and still use their trousers and shirts which are nigh on indestructable. Often cheap second hand on Ebay, which given their longevity is excellent !

Reactions: gibson 175

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE