Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... have to change my chain soon - Its only done about 5300km but I didn't look after it for the first half of that :/

Would that have been before or after I mentioned it to you in this thread? :)

5,300 km is a very poor life for a chain on a small bike. Even on my 1200 Bandit I'd normally expect to get 20,000 to 30,000km (but a few years ago I swapped it for an FJR -- mainly because the FJR is shaft drive, so chains aren't an issue for my touring bike any more :) ).

Having said that, I suspect that in addition to poor maintenance you might have had a cheap chain to begin with. Do you know who its manufacturer was? Chinese?

if I pull the back link away from the sprocket when the chain is adjusted properly it barely moves but there isn't much adjustment left so I take it that means it needs to go?

Chains rarely wear evenly, especially if neglected. Check it at several positions. Rotate the rear wheel a turn or so between each check.

I'm assuming since it isn't a big bike that the chain has a split link. If not you'll need a chain riveting tool to do anything with the chain, or you'll have to take out the swinging arm to change the chain.

Don't rely on the amount of movement left on the chain adjuster to decide if the chain is OK. If it sits well on the sprockets with no risk of riding up and coming off them then it should be OK to take half a link or a link out. Half a link sounds silly but it's possible. :)

I have a new chain for it and I know how to change it but it will be the biggest bit of maintenance I've done so far

I hope you bought a decent chain.

It's usually advisable to replace the sprockets and the chain together. Worn sprockets can wear a new chain very quickly. It's less of an issue on a smaller machine but it's still an issue. Look carefully at the sprockets, most importantly at the one on the gearbox end of the chain (because it's a lot smaller than the one on the wheel and tends to wear faster). If the teeth show any sign of being hook-shaped instead of symmetrical then you should replace the sprockets or you're just wasting money on the chain.

Sprockets aren't all that expensive but replacing them is a bigger job than replacing the chain. Don't attempt it if you aren't confident. A chain flying off the sprockets at speed can cause a very nasty accident.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
It was when my dad came round and told me off that I started looking after it! The chain I bought was from the replacement parts part of the company that made the bike.

I'm confident that I can change it, I'm actually looking forward to tinkering around with it :)
Thanks as always for the advice :)

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Had a number of bikes, i wont bother listing them all hahahaha

Just a few...

KXF450 offroad animal
132483_156202547765756_100001280367157_339612_5638604_o.jpg

GSXR 600 race bike
090710_7751.jpg

Another GSXR 600 road bike, toured around Europe & Nurburgring :D
IMG_4691.jpg

DPP_000112.jpg

One of my first race bikes ZXR400
IMG_31813-2_2_.jpg

I also have a GSXR 1000 streetfighter, but i can't find any pictures at the moment :rolleyes:

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Hello folks,

Need a bit of advice, i'm in the market for a set of paddock stands and i have a limited budget (£60-£80 max) :(

I dont mind spending the cash on quality kit but i can't blow a wedge on em.

Any ideas or reccomendations, found these on the bay, any good?

Thanks in advance.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... in the market for a set of paddock stands and i have a limited budget ... Any ideas or reccomendations, found these on the bay, any good?

Obviously the page you've linked shows the price per stand, so it's at the top end of your budget for two of them.

My tubular steel stand seems to be a bit on the skinny side for a heavy bike, but it's fine for a lightweight machine. The stand doesn't have a diagonal brace like the one in your link so it ought to be better from that point of view as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything.

The other thing to watch out for is whether they'll actually fit! The square cup-style swinging arm rests supplied with my stand are a bit of a pain to thread through the Hayabusa's rear brake caliper and gubbins so I bought some purpose made screw-in fittings which are a lot nicer. With them, it's possible to put the bike on the stand without having a friend there to catch the bike when it falls over. :)

You getting a race bike then? :)

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
I'll try to take pictures one of these day's but i most warn you.
It's a restauration project. But the engine turns, thats enough for me.

i love the Vincent, but way out of budget :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE