Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well, the headlights busted!

I won't ask. :)

The lights weren't very good anyway so it's a good excuse to upgrade them! I'm just wondering whether globe headlights have many/any advantages to the regular type There doesn't seem to be much difference in price.

I agree with Robbi.

I've seen some bad reports of component life, and in any case I wouldn't know if what you're proposing would be legal. For some products, in some jurisdictions, it wouldn't be. Even if it's legal it might require you to notify your insurance company of a modification. They always ask the question, and if you tell them there are no modifications when there are, and then you have an accident, in addition to all the other problems you'd have you might also find yourself uninsured.

Never forget that an enormous amount of work has been put into keeping you and others safe by the specification and, usually, testing, often to destruction, of all sorts of things on motor vehicles -- sometimes things that you would never dream were interesting to the VOSA.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Glad to hear you're still biking despite the weather. :)

...has anybody tried these sorts of lights or something similar? Any significant improvements over a regular halogen? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-HS1-Super...ycle_Parts&hash=item563c6481f9#ht_2091wt_1135

That particular link is for a 35 Watt bulb, is that the same as the one fitted in your bike by the manufacturer? If it is then you'll probably ought to just live with the low power because the wiring, switchgear and alternator won't take a much bigger load. Most headlight bulbs are more like 60W/55W -- I think that's the legal maximum -- and as you know, very often, even on a motorcycle, there are two of them.

Friends of mine have said that they find the bluish coloured lights help them to pick out detail better, but I think they'd stop short of saying they were significantly better. Years ago I tried one on my 1200 Bandit and I didn't notice any great difference, although the headlight on the Bandit was never very good and my eyesight isn't what it used to be so that might not have been a fair test. Despite it being illegal I also tried a 100W/80W bulb, and although it was a bit better it wasn't fantastic. At anything more than about 60mph on unlit roads it gave a heart-stopping delay when switching from dip to main before the light actually got bright enough to see where you were going. I put that down to overloading the electrics, so when the bulb failed (it didn't last long) I went back to the standard. So I'd say try some alternatives and see what you think of them if you can afford it. You should probably be keeping a spare on the bike anyway, on the continent it's a legal requirement.

There are conversion kits which use discharge lamps instead of filament lamps, they can give a lot more light for a lot less power. If you're limited to 35W and struggling to see what's in front of you on back lanes then something like that might be worth a look, but again you will have to consider the legal issues. They're expensive and they might not fit on your bike.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Still biking but I didn't manage to make the last day of college because the snow was too bad; I got about 1/4 of the way there, slowed down gently to let someone pass coming the opposite way and my back tyre skidded off to the side. It was forecast for more snow so I turned back - no point risking my life getting to college then possibly not being able to get back! I'm really enjoying my course so I'm hoping the snow will hold off. I can deal with ice as I know where the bad roads are and I've changed to a longer route to avoid those but the snow near my house is bad because it's a relatively unused road which means no grit and no car tracks to ride in.

Yep, it's a 35w bulb. Those xenon bulbs aren't that expensive for me to take a punt on so I might give them a go.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Im a summer wimp april to september.

VincentBlkShdw-100607.gif

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I would just add: keep it coming guys. As a new biker I'm finding this a particularly useful thread.

Since passing the CBT have acquirred a '06 CG125. Enjoying it greatly, although weather has stoppped me getting out on it this past month.

One thing I would add: a bike is educational.

Firstly, it improves your car driving - for one thing, you keep a damned good look out for bikers.

Secondly, you feel kind of obliged to maintain it yourself. I've not changed my car spark plugs and oil myself since my MG fourteen years ago. But with a bike, it seems crazy not to doit yourself.

Thirdly, bikers are nice folk. I have been really surprised how helpful people have been. Quite an eye opener.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thirdly, bikers are nice folk. I have been really surprised how helpful people have been. Quite an eye opener.

I'll second that. There is a guy at college that I always have a chat with in the car park and one time I was waiting in a que of traffic (too close to the lights to bother filtering) and someone pulled up next to me on a dirt bike and started talking to me there and then, whole new experience for me that was :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey guys, finally gotten round to getting some decent motorbike boots :) Aldi got a load of motorcycle gear in today so I thought I'd take advantage. The boots are a damn sight better than what I was wearing before but the stiffness means that it's hard to change gear - maybe I just need to get used to them? But also that I can't rest my foot on the peg without putting my rear brake on. I like to keep my foot over the rear brake because the windy country roads around here are so unpredictable, there are a lot of times I have to break going round a corner because some idiot in a landrover comes speeding round the other way so it's quite a big problem. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Also, do you think my feet being slightly loose in them would affect the safety? They are my normal size but they do feel a tad big, I don't really want to return them for a smaller size to find out they are too small but I'm not sure they'd like be trying on the boots at aldi.

Cheers.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
....finally gotten round to getting some decent motorbike boots :)

Please don't tell me what you were wearing before... :yikes:

... the stiffness means that it's hard to change gear - maybe I just need to get used to them?

If they're leather they'll soften up a lot with use. Make sure you keep putting leather treatment on them, at least every week while you're using them but hopefully more often in bad weather and you'll find they give much better service.

... I can't rest my foot on the peg without putting my rear brake on.

Adjust the lever? I have to adjust the levers on my Hayabusa if I wear my Alt-Bergs on it. On that bike I prefer to wear something lighter but if the weather's bad I have little choice.

I like to keep my foot over the rear brake because the windy country roads around here are so unpredictable, there are a lot of times I have to break going round a corner because some idiot in a landrover comes speeding round the other way so it's quite a big problem. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Apart from the obvious "slow down a bit", you mean? You probably have enough experience of those roads now to be a better judge than anyone reading here of what hazards they might hold. I'm not sure I'd like to rely on the few extra milliseconds I'd get from covering the brake lever to keep me out of trouble, I'd be far happier knowing that whatever comes around the next corner, and however fast it's going, I'll be able to avoid it. Maybe it's time to start thinking about an advanced riding course?

Also, do you think my feet being slightly loose in them would affect the safety? They are my normal size but they do feel a tad big...

You need to make a judgement about that. A loose boot (or any other bit of kit) is not as safe as a well-fitting one, it can fly off in a crash, and then you have no protection from it when you most need it. But most people who ride all year round won't be able to justify having several pairs of tailor-made boots and will usually get a pair big enough to take winter layers which will not be worn in summer. That will make the boots loose in summer, often when most riding is done. Ideally, whether it's a boot or glove or whatever it is, it will have a good range of adjustment in the fastenings. Things that are too loose flap around, which can be distracting and surprisingly tiring. They can let bits of you get cold and wet. Things that are too tight restrict circulation and let bits of you get cold. As you've found, a boot (or any clothing, gloves, helmet, whatever) that doesn't fit well or is uncomfortable can make it more difficult to control the machine.

If your boots fit better with an extra pair of socks, or even two, then it will be safer and warmer. But if the boots are way too big then you really ought to change them. Aldi are pretty good about returns, but I don't know what they'd say if you tried to return boots that you'd worn just because they didn't fit well.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Adjusting the brake was my first thought too, I'm not sure how far to take it really though. The time saved really does make a difference down here, if I was to go at a speed where I had time to straighten up round the corners to use my front brake then I would be crawling everywhere! It's just what the roads are like around here, it's kind of a shame that everybody else assumes that "No one uses these roads so it's safe to do god-knows-what mph" because they would be a real pleasure to ride if it wasn't that way. Also, doing a hill start was really awkward not being able to lever my foot.

The boots won't come off, it's just that there is a bit of a gap between my foot and the top of the boot so I have less leverage to pull it up. Most shoes I try out the size below is uncomfortable so I almost always have slightly loose shoes anyway. It's probably be just worrying too much!

I'm still a leaner so advanced riding courses may not be the best option. I've not been able to afford any lessons recently so I've been getting by watching video tutorials and reading riding journals, that kind of thing - especially about maintenance. I know it's no substitute for the real thing but it's better than nout!

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Wow. . . This is a big thread . . . not had chance to read it all yet but you guys have some nice bikes.
Thought I would share a few pics of mine.

DSCF0800.jpg

DSCF0799.jpg

Loaded up on the way to the Algarve. :yikes: 2 up as well.
050709020524.jpg

050722115326.jpg

At Portugal's highest point, Seirra de Estrela, (weird seeing ski lifts in the baking heat)
050718034612.jpg

Stopped of for a rollie on the way back to camp.
050718054100.jpg

Off again in July, can't wait. :cool:

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'n going to have to change my chain soon - Its only done about 5300km but I didn't look after it for the first half of that :/ if I pull the back link away from the sprocket when the chain is adjusted properly it barely moves but there isn't much adjustment left so I take it that means it needs to go? I have a new chain for it and I know how to change it but it will be the biggest bit of maintenance I've done so far :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE