Antler crafts and a sewing patch I've made, woodgas stove thoughts! :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well after receiving my antler in trade early in the week (thanks Rob!) I got cracking on making some things today with it! I made:

A catapult, with double theraband golds on.
A button to go on my Sami coffe pouch and another one I don't kno where to put?
A firesteel handle with the blank in, all finished
Another Firesteel handle, but I've run out of blanks
A nice antler pendant
A fishing priest, where the bank line is attached I cut a notch to stop it moving.
A nice woogle and lanyard to go on my woodlore clone.
And finally a percussion flint knapping tool (Stone Age style), will have a go with it soon.

Most of the pieces I gave a nice neat edge on by slightly rounding (or bevelling) with a sharp knife, I thought it gave it a nice look! :) all the edges that had been cut were sanded down to make them lovely and smooth.

I also made a small needle patch out of waxed canvas to hold my needles, artificial sinew (thanks Steve!) and some bank line that had been split down.

I gave my wild stoves woodgas MKII (I think?) it's second burn and it performed well, much better on split or battonned down wood rather than twigs, it was great in calm conditions but took a bit longer to heat up in the strong wind, but in a sheltered spot it was great! I like it a lot for short quick brews in the woods, packs down small and doesn't weigh much at all! :)

Here are some pictures:

This is what it looked like before it chopped it up:

image_zps16abc720.jpg

image_zps3eb37bb5.jpg

image_zps8e9e60e5.jpg

image_zps66643369.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice work, how long did it take you to do all that ?

Cheers mate! Probably about 3 hours from start to finish, I didn't rush and had a cup of tea half way through :).

Edit: that was just for the antler and sewing patch, walk and brew in the woods probably took another 3 hours :).

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good stuff Cameron; I love reading these threads where people make a whole bunch of stuff in one go, the trouble is it makes me guilty for having a weekend off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE