an axe fixed for a friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
havn't posted much lately so thought i show you guys the latest bit of woodwork.

my old boss broke this axe a while back and asked if i could fix it for him, bit of a pain but it came out ok:)
used ash and as its only used for splitting kept it fairly strait and oversized neer the head for strength.

Photo-0011.jpg

Photo-0012.jpg

thanks
pete

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I love a strait shaft on an axe, years ago I was told by a woodsman that the curved shaft was less efficient, he cited double bit axes same weight etc but were more controllable than curved, Your beautifully made shaft/haft and Ash was traditional until Hickory from the new world...

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
The first 4 posts I've read since I logged in have all been very relevant to me!
I split my splitting axe (only a cheap 1.5oz CK bit) and need to make a new handle, your work looks practical and strong, thanks for sharing :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks OK to me Pete mate, mind you not as nice as the Hogs head you were using over the weekend, now that is an axe.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
well actually this is also an ox head (not hogs) just a slightly lighter one. i asked if i could have it as it was a better size for bushcraft but i couldnt perswade him lol.

thanks for the replys
pete

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for that Pete mate, bit of a brain *8rt there.
Like I couldn't persuade you to take double what you paid for yours, what is it with you tree climbers. :lmao:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It's very interesting for us noobs to hear about the reasoning behind the shaft design too, I'll remeber that trick about strength near the head :) Lovely job, if I had to choose a wood as 'mine' it'd be ash every time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE