Choosing a new axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bananmand

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
Hi there, i am fairly new to bushcraft, but i already love it :)
I have all of the equipment i need for the future, the only thing missing is an axe.

Last year i got a hultafors 80 cm (32") 1500 g felling axe, and have used it ever since, but last month i broke the axe, and need a new one. I feel like the axe is a little too big, especially for finer woodwork and carving, so i am thinking about getting a smaller axe. I am looking for an axe big enough to cut down small trees with, but still small enough to do rough carving with. I am thinking about getting a longer axe with a smaller head, 60-70 cm and 800-1000 g head. If you have any recoomendations both relating to length and weight, or to a brand i would love to hear it :eek:

It will mostly be used for gathering firewood, making shelters and to projects like making bows.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Gransfors bruks small forest axe is nice and handy size. 19" handle is useful for both single and double handed use. I think the head weight is 1.5 lbs. I've heard great things about the Scandinavian forest axe, which is a little larger, but I've not tried it personally. I imagine it would perform better for the double handed work but a little hefty for single handed stuff

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Gränsfors Small Outdoor axe, Wildlife hatchet, Small hatchet or Hand hatchet.

Less weight, will do the same job with just a tiny bit more effort. The trees you are taking down, how thick trunk diameter are they?

I have used a Wildlife hatchet for years, on up to 15-20 cm wood.

It is not the size and weight, but sharpness.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Fiskars axes... not very traditional looking but good value and do the job. Unbreakable shafts supposedly.

I recently bought an X17 for splitting firewood for home, it's a delight to use.

I say the X15 or possibly X10 would be excellent tools for the sort of thing you are after.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE