American Indian Contributions to the World.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
There's no evidence of wild corn that's ever been recorded. However I agree with you that they had to start with something. So what does all that mean? Merely that corn (maize) as we know it is just so old a crop that it's wild origin has ceased to exist and left no trace. Not really a cause for an alien intervention theory.

Apparently bred from the wild grass "Teosinte".
http://www.campsilos.org/mod3/students/c_history.shtml

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The puzzle with Teosinte is that no matter how carefully done, it doesn't breed true.
From time to time, other "grasses" have been implicated, much the same conjecture as in the demonstrated
and repeated heritage of the tetraploid and hexaploid wheats.

The term genetic engineered" suggests that DNA from unrelated species has been extracted and inserted into the species of choice.
Natural Selection appears to be exactly that = survival of the fittest to survive and reproduce that successful kind in the wild.
Artificial Selection seems more NS, but a process guided by Man, often with purposeful goals that may yield poor, wild-type suvivorship.
AS began as Man transplanted outstanding plant specimens to the mouths of their caves.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Xenophobic? No, just think the same as Goatboy. All cultures have contributed. Was the contribution to the world by the natives or by their Spanish and Portuguese colonisers who brought these items to the world's markets?

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Xenophobic? No, just think the same as Goatboy. All cultures have contributed. Was the contribution to the world by the natives or by their Spanish and Portuguese colonisers who brought these items to the world's markets?

Okay, I'd rather be wrong on that one

Cheers!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
tsitenha:
I agree. It is best to label the Americas as the americas. Post contact with europeans has been an insult with such treats as Smallpox.
Killed off entire cultures on the PacNW coast. Those dorks crushed so much cultural knowledge and heritage.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
She:kon brother, Good words RV, culture is us, we are less for the lack of it. We are getting better. Idle no More

I said more than may be alowed, my blood screams

Last edited by a moderator:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

So you're saying they weren't already in the "world's" markets before Columbus landed?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yes. It appears that the time is ripe to display native culture with very little backlash.
Funny how it took so long but the residential school mess might be power in disguise.
Dress accordingly. We go. With no totems, I still stand up straight and tall.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Boatman: other than SmallPox, what worldly contributions did the Europeans contribute?

It is a fact that trade routes existed East & West, North & South, across the Americas. Stone, bone, metals.
All the Europeans did was phuque it up without learning the economics of the continents.

The arrogance of many european explorers failed utterly to comprehend the design and construction skills
top manufacture goods that eurpoeans could not imagine.

Here on the west coast, the anthropologists, such as Franz Boas, were a little bit more objective and clinical
in the wake of the SmallPox exterminations.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Robson Valley, Iron, horses, firearms.

I'm not saying that what we Europeans did was beneficial, I'm a known critic of what we've done in the name of Church & State, & continue to be annoyed by missionaries & modern day empire building and I think Boatman was saying the same.
There were empires, trading, disease & killings on some fairly large scales before the Europeans arrived, just so happened they brought diseases that the incumbent tenants had no resistance too and were more efficient at the empire/slaughter deal.
Yes its very sad what was done, and neither side came out with clean hands, just as with sides getting pros&cons in the whole deal. Personally I'm more worried what we're still up to, but then that doesn't always make me popular with my fellow Scots who bang on about repression and hold up a foreign fop who had more native Scots fighting against him than for him as some kind of hero. All to easy to put a polish on one while tarnishing another when cherry picking from history.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Goatboy glad too see one of us is objective, but to some of us it's still very personal, even today on daily basis we endure it.

How was Thanksgiving though, we fed them and the never left, they must love us. :cool:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tsitenha, hope you didn't take offence at my comments? I do think that the way the Indian peoples were (and much worse) still are treated is terrible. See it in places like New Zealand, Australia, Africa... The list goes on. Maybe I read to much history, written from all sides of the arguments. From my own perspective I find my fellow Scots very mired down in badly written emotive stories of how we had a few brilliant victories but were beaten by our evil English neighbours in the end. It was more complicated than that and we went on to be an important part of Britains empire machine, which we contributed to and benefited from greatly. But as they say "You don't get an empire by being friends" it's kind of the meaning of what an empire is.
All I was trying to put across is that there are two sides to arguments and that it's often a convoluted & twisty path. The important thing for me is that we learn from it so we can be better people to each other in the present and the future. I'd rather make good history for the generations to come than read badly written history from our past.
Hopefully no offence given? I've really enjoyed the history I've read of the Indian peoples and have learned a lot and like the pervading world view that comes across, hopefully made me a better person for it which is as good a gift as I can ask.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Goatboy, No offense taken, we are still living these historical events, that's why we are still tense. The Iroquois are great orators (I unfortunately do not have this gift), we govern by consensus, so it's all good
I also have some Scot in me, Iroquois wore a sort of kilt long ago, the transition to a Highland kilt is easy. I look rather dashing my wife thinks. :lmao:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
The biggest problem is that we forgot our creator, think that mankinds ownes this world and non ethical progress is the only way to live.
As long as we are slaves of our own system and machines hapiness will not come.
A study of sources giving more info on more sustainable ethics is a sign of intelligence.

Simple living high thinking.

Greetings from a humble inhabitant off this beautiful planet.

There's no evidence of wild corn that's ever been recorded. However I agree with you that they had to start with something. So what does all that mean? Merely that corn (maize) as we know it is just so old a crop that it's wild origin has ceased to exist and left no trace. Not really a cause for an alien intervention theory.

i did not mean that corn was brought by aliens.... olny that -unlike many other domesticated plants/animals- no wild ancestor has been found yet....

Robson Valley, Iron, horses, firearms.

I'm not saying that what we Europeans did was beneficial, I'm a known critic of what we've done in the name of Church & State, & continue to be annoyed by missionaries & modern day empire building and I think Boatman was saying the same.
There were empires, trading, disease & killings on some fairly large scales before the Europeans arrived, just so happened they brought diseases that the incumbent tenants had no resistance too and were more efficient at the empire/slaughter deal.
Yes its very sad what was done, and neither side came out with clean hands, just as with sides getting pros&cons in the whole deal. Personally I'm more worried what we're still up to, but then that doesn't always make me popular with my fellow Scots who bang on about repression and hold up a foreign fop who had more native Scots fighting against him than for him as some kind of hero. All to easy to put a polish on one while tarnishing another when cherry picking from history.

uuhhmmm.... i thought firearms were invented in china [gunpowder was introduced by the mongols to europe]- although the europeans took over at some stage in terms of perfectioning them.... . and iron was first smelted in mesopotamia; the first people who understood the iron production from ores [there earlier samples of meteoric iron being used] were the hittites [o.k. they were indoeuropean people ....]

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
Plus there is some evidence that they were not the first folk to find America but that they all but wiped out the negriod true first settlers.

I'm in complete agreement with you on your general comment; putting a people on a pedestal and romanticising them is almost as insulting as doing them down, in my opinion - because in projecting our own values and desires onto them, we are denying them their humanity.

However I'd be really interested in understanding where the theory of native Americans exterminating the original black settlers comes from, as this sounds like it's verging into rather speculative stuff. I've heard it said that the Olmec were black, based upon the style of their sculptural art, but that theory is no longer considered likely (partly because that was only one style in Olmec art history, and other styles did not reflect the same features). But for the theory you mentioned to be true, this genocide would have likely had to have occurred at a much earlier stage, long before complex societies started to form, and so I'm wondering what material evidence there would have been that might indicate this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE