Amadou advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
Yesterday I collected some horse hoof fungus, and it was about the size of a dinner plate but I haven't been able to get much amadou substance out of it after the removal of the cuticle and spores.
But my question is what is the best way to now turn it into a tinder?
Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You may have found another fungus- such as an artists conk, which can look similar to the horses hoof in appearance. However the amadou layer can vary between specimens and some are better for tinder than others, so it may well be a horses hoof. I start by removing the cuticle- the hard outer layer, with a knife. I then remover the pores (Tubes) From the bottom. You are then left with a chunky piece of felty amadou. I then fill a billy can with fine hardwood ash from the fire and about half a litre of water. Make sure there is enough solution to cover what you are boiling. I then boil it in the solution for about an hour. You can also use stale urine but I haven't tried that myself and it's basically just an alkali Solution that is needed. When removed from the boil put it on something hard like a flat rock or a fallen tree and hammer it flat with the back of my axe. This makes a thin and flat sheet of amadou which can then be sliced into smaller pieces or left hole. The boiling with alkali helps it take a spark from a flint and steel or even a firesteel. Then just leave it to dry or leave it near the fire and you'll have great tinder ready to start your fires with by blowing the ember created to flames. The smoke has a lovely aromatic smell and will naturally repel insects- like a useful incense an a fire lighter in one. I make it quite often and the more I make the better the quality gets really through practice, it's a great tinder and good luck :).

Hope this helps!

Edit:

In and amongst this thread there are some pictures, including steps and cross serious of the fungus:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120831

:)

Last edited:

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
Cheers Clouston it does help, I'll be doing this as soon as I get down the woods, unless is turns out too be artist conk like you said

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I have good tinder from a conk, in this case made by soaking the trama layer from the conk in salt petre - works brilliantly in my fire piston.

Peter

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Aye you can use the artists conk, but it is far inferior to the horses hood if you want to make amadou :).

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
its better to use the small ones as they have a larger amount of trama layer relative to the total size of the fungus, freshly emerged ones can be nearly all trama layer

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
Cheers guys, I find myself being humbled by the greater knowledge of people like yourselves everytime I come here. Greatly appreciated

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Dunno - it was a while ago and I've passed a lot of cider since I made that ;-)

I think I just stuck a couple of teaspoons of Potassium Nitrate in a cup of water, soaked the trama overnight and then hammered it thin and dried it out. Works a treat in my fire piston and takes sparks well.

Peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE