Am I crazy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
Is it normal to turn up at my local woods at 4:00 in the morning, light a fire in my usual place and wait for it to get light? And before anyone asks why so early, I couldn't get back so sleep, so I thought sod it!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Stevee,
If you're crazy you're only as crazy as me. Never slept much and always felt that lying in bed was a bit of a waste of time. It's wonderful to be out doing something different at strange times... Animals don't expect to see you, people aren't about, you achieve more... even if its only having a brew up with the sun up, wouldn't change it for the world.
Goatboy.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Sounds like a lovely way to start your day, and if you're not sleeping anyway, why not?

I used to do a lot of random outings at odd hours before I had my son. Single parenting makes it hard, but if you suffer with insomnia, my logic was always that I might as well be awake somewhere beautiful and coated with a slick of pre-dawn magic, as staring at the ceiling...

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
Yeah, I've done it twice now, and its quiet creepy hearing the owls, foxes, and other wildlife making a racket!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm working nights so my sleep pattern is shafted, but so long as you sleep getting there at four, seeing the dawn is no problem, so long as you do sleeep. That said, you can tend to miss the day.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Is it normal to turn up at my local woods at 4:00 in the morning, light a fire in my usual place and wait for it to get light? And before anyone asks why so early, I couldn't get back so sleep, so I thought sod it!

Expect a good few on here would consider that perfectly acceptable behavior, I know I do. Often as possible. Always ensure at least half a dozen dawns a year, its getting a tad more difficult now that summers on its way.:). Summer solstice:wow1: its hardly worth going to bed on a good year. I stayed up all night in Pokhra one year waiting for the dawn to light up the mountains then bathed in the lake before breakfast.

Thanks for this post not bad at all brought back some great memories for me

M

merrylegs

i couldn't think of a nicer way to start the day whilst on your own

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No definitely not crazy - or else we all are! :)

IMG_5815-2-dawn21stJune2008-1024.jpg

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Crazy? No.

Shifts / kids and other stuff has stopped me wandering off at 3am when i can't sleep. However when i do escape for a nights camping i often set my alarm for 4am just to wake up, have a brew and see whats about. Then back to my hammock for 5 and a few hours more sleep (I do like my sleep - otherwise I'd just get up and stay up).

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
This is the best time of year to be in the woods so early, Dawn Chorus is at it's peak in May. I have a vivid memory of staying up all night a few Mays ago in the local forest, getting growled at by a fox who really didn't expect a human to be sitting by his path. At about 03.15 I heard the last hoot from the Tawny, a few minutes later the first tweedle from a Robin let me know that the day shift was taking over, and of course there was just the faintest glimmer of light in the sky. Next up was the Blackbird, gradually other individuals and species joined in, until it was impossible to pick out a single song from the symphony. This is an old welsh oak woodland, so rich in all the possible woodland species and I lived only ten minutes walk from it, what a joy to spend time there. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow...

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
I'll often get to the allotment at 6, do a load of work, have a natter with the other early riser, and get back before SWMBO and little fella are out of bed. Great way to start the day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE