Alternatives to OS Maps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
In this country...Probably not, but then again as has already been said elsewhere, The OS Maps we have in the UK are pretty much second to none. Why would you need/want anything else?

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Harvey Maps seem pretty good, but unfortunately they do not cover Norfolk.

OS maps are great, i've spent days pouring over them appreciating the effort and detail, but I was just wondering if there was any other type out there available?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
As above Harvey Maps are very good, we normally use Goggle Earth on any area before we go and zoom-in for a rough overview but it's very limited, with on contour lines hight is almost impossible to judge and conditions under foot very hard also to judge , but it has come in very handy occasionally, The only reason I prefer Harvey over OS is " because essentially its the same information "is the maps are made from polypropylene and last years , OS would be my next choice Bro.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Not sure how common it is, but a couple of OSmaps I have got have deliberate errors in them, I was told this was to prevent copying by other map makers.

If I hadn't been familiar with the area I'd never have spotted the errors.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

greensurfingbear

Not sure how common it is, but a couple of OSmaps I have got have deliberate errors in them, I was told this was to prevent copying by other map makers.

If I hadn't been familiar with the area I'd never have spotted the errors.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

It's true the AA had an out of court settlement with OS as they copied the maps without licence. It was proved they were copies by the cartography "mistakes"

Orric

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Harvey Maps are good, easier to read fine detail on the 1:25,000 than the OS equivalent due to the print quality and tones used. They're water proof, but extremely limited in coverage. Plus they're expensive, comparatively. So an OS map combined with a transparent map wallet does the job just fine, my one harvey map, Kintail/Glen Sheil, despite being water proof lives in a transparent map wallet when out and about, coz the wind isn't kind to any map, water proof or not.

OS is the way to go, unless one is after the high detail 1:12,000 detail Harvey maps for complex/dangerous mountain tops, such as the summit of the big bad ben. Even then, if your going to such places you should have all the bearings pacings from topping out of your chosen route to descent, plus alternatives, sussed out before you set out, the summit plateaux isn't the place to be figuring out your way in a whiteout when it's blowing a big hooly.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
OS maps do a laminated version that's pretty bullet proof. But I tend to keep an eye out for when they've done updates to their maps to make sure I'm using the most accurate one. I've also got their Getamap subscription, an online facility that let's me plan routes and print portions of maps.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have used maps by bartholmew Don't know if they are still available. The scale was 1:100.000. The showed enough detail fo cycling and relief was by shading. Covered area mainly by counties.
Crowe

I remember Bartholemews maps, I used to use them when I travelled around on an old Lambretta Scooter. Going back even further, I remember the half inch series as well. My dad used them to navigate us around the Lake District and Wales when I was a nipper. He must have had keen eyesight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE