Alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Just caught the first 2 episodes and went over the list of items they brought. Compared to last year, Seems a lot more took the emergency rations and only 1 guy took a bow this year. It should be interesting as the ones on the 2nd year have the chance the learn the lessons from the first year.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Yeah, watching. The two incidents in the episode 2 *facepalm*.

As for watching...

If download & install the latest developer edition of Opera from http://www.opera.com/developer
Then in Opera, hit Menu button > Settings > Privacy & security and check "Enable VPN"
Then go to http://www.history.com/shows/alone
Should see a blue block with VPN in white to the left of the website address, click that... in the Virtual location... make sure it says United States. (Click down arrow to change if needed)
Should then be able to click on any of the episodes to watch.

Did all of that an whilst it lets me access the episodes I can't get them to play! Frustrated but thanks for getting me this far.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Did all of that an whilst it lets me access the episodes I can't get them to play! Frustrated but thanks for getting me this far.

I had the same issues a few weeks ago when I tried to watch the same way as I did last year, but I tried again this morning doing exactly the same and its working on both my hudl (cyberghost for vpn) and laptop, (chrome using anoymox for vpn).

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just caught the first 2 episodes and went over the list of items they brought. Compared to last year, Seems a lot more took the emergency rations and only 1 guy took a bow this year. It should be interesting as the ones on the 2nd year have the chance the learn the lessons from the first year.

I think the bow is considered a bad idea, down the restrictions that are imposed on what they can kill. They are going to be moving the location for season 3 so they can hunt more game.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I've only just managed to catch up.

I've not got the names to peoples faces pinned yet, accept Desmond. Desmond just wasn't in his comfort zone from the start and once your mind starts doubting, game over. It does take some mental preparedness; personally the fear of bears would do me. Most seem to be there mentally for the moment, but I felt sorry for the woman that got medevac'd out; it just shows how easy it is to slip up or not fully appreciate the risks of things when tired. Fair play to the guy with the bow drill, I was please to see him succeed. I'm enjoying it.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, though it was bad technique, so I find it hard to blame slip up or tiredness.

Just had to hold the wood horizontally, rather than vertically, and put the axe through one end, whilst holding the other.

Was a shame.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Yeah, watching. The two incidents in the episode 2 *facepalm*.

As for watching...

If download & install the latest developer edition of Opera from http://www.opera.com/developer
Then in Opera, hit Menu button > Settings > Privacy & security and check "Enable VPN"
Then go to http://www.history.com/shows/alone
Should see a blue block with VPN in white to the left of the website address, click that... in the Virtual location... make sure it says United States. (Click down arrow to change if needed)
Should then be able to click on any of the episodes to watch.

I also tried this with no joy. I would love to watch it can anyone offer any guidance

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hmm no idea why doesn't work.. just tried and works fine here :/

Screenshot...
2i9k0o5.png

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can't see. I'm on Linux as opposed to Windows though.. but wouldn't have thought that'd make a difference.

Edit: Yeah, the only difference can see is that I was using an older version of opera, but just updated and it still works fine. :/

Last edited:
I watched the first two episodes on YouTube last night-- that axe injury looked rather serious. I kinda saw it coming before she cut herself - being tired and in a rush/not concentrating is a bad idea with sharp objects....(not trying to smartarse anyone- I did something similar 2years ago and still have a scar on my finger as a warning...). I hope her hand will heal without any loss of function?!

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I watched the first two episodes on YouTube last night-- that axe injury looked rather serious. I kinda saw it coming before she cut herself - being tired and in a rush/not concentrating is a bad idea with sharp objects....(not trying to smartarse anyone- I did something similar 2years ago and still have a scar on my finger as a warning...). I hope her hand will heal without any loss of function?!
Yep, got similar scars myself.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I still could not get opera to work but I did find season one on another website. I watched the first 3 episodes and I am really enjoying watching it. What struck me was how hard they all found it even with their prior knowledge and skills

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
For people trying to use Opera, it looks like you need to install Flash. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be bundled unlike Chrome/IE. And here's me thinking I'd got past that :( Shame the site doesn't tell you it needs it either, I just noticed it trying to connect to adobe.com.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah, Opera here on linux is using the Flash plugin from Chrome. So it just worked.

Really idiotic that the history site doesn't say.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I wont give away any results but I have watched the entire first series over the weekend. It was hard to watch towards the end as there all started to get depressed from the isolation. but an amazing program one reality program that was actually worth watching

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I've just finished watching the first four episodes of season two and it's been emotional. I have laughed, cried disbelief then cringed in horror and can't wait for the next instalment. Couple of very strong contenders in this years batch with skills honed by experience that would make Robinson Crusoe proud but on the flipside this is a contest of heart so it will be interesting to see who wants the win badly enough as the mental cracks develop.

FYI the Emergency Food item seems to be pasta or rice weighing 5lbs. That works out to be roughly 7 days food @ 1200 calories per day and several contestants are packing two of them so things should be going well into week four and beyond baring axidents & insanity.

PS: wife hooked as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE