After Armageddon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaaah yes Abby - foxy tough chick.

As for only Lucy making it through, nope Greg and Charles (character names) both made it to series three. But they hated each other and did not appear o screen together which made for some cumbersome plots.

I just watched the subject show and, allowing for some cultural differences, thought it was pretty well thought through.

Red

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Another plot hole is that if 80-90% of all people die in a pandemic that includes 80-90% of all sociopats and gangs as well. You can't compare it to Katrina where the population is intact while the infrastucture is destroyed. There would be plenty of supplies for the remaining 10% to get by for quite a while.
And also the 90% who die in the pandemic wouldn't drive their cars out on the freeway and dump them but would probably die in bed at home. I found myself looking for zombies in the history channel version.
BTW re-watched the first two episodes of Survivors yesterday. Excellent show.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Also there was a corpse that blinked, something tells me this didn't really happen, I think your statement about the criminal classes being effected too holds a lot of water, also I wonder what prison protocols are in the case of a pandemic event? Wheather they lock down incase of high fatalities impeding there abilty to maintain normal securty? I don't think the gridlock would he so much of a problem in this country with the amount of minor roads that parallel the major routes, the point about searching small industrial units is an interesting one, how many people work in these sites that would know all to well the wealth of not only food but other supplies for security, medical aid and manufacturing kept there. Some good points but I think there was a lot of mad max fantasy going on.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I saw "After Armageddon" last night.
it's really only of any interest to those living in desert areas of the US, and yes, everyone that survived seemed to have guns.

and yes as you'd assume they formed small communities, and eventually moved on.
eventually all the "Mad Max" types die off or kill each other.

funny thing the story follows them week by week, then suddenly jumps 25 years...annoying.
they then live in some sort of futuristic friendly desert farming community, with clothing and Buildings slightly reminiscent of a Star wars film set.
8-arcosanti1.jpg

well it was filmed at Arcosanti, an actual working project that includes "Arcology":
Arcology, the concept of ecological human habitats was introduced by Paolo Soleri in late 1960's, exploring an alternative urban development in the age of environmental crisis.
here's the site:
http://www.arcosanti.org/

Not sure I'd choose a "desert" to start a community, one of the harshest environments on the earth IMHO.
yes, you are miles from all the gangs and scavenging and you have unending sun for solar panels...but no water, seems a risky option.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Absolutly Tengu, I wonder if the desert tribes would even be effected by something like this, other than the infection itself, and the loss of visitors and mabey people who they trade goods and services with, but the skill to live in the enviroment they inhabit with out there relience on the provision of services, would remain,

Aaaah yes Abby - foxy tough chick.

As for only Lucy making it through, nope Greg and Charles (character names) both made it to series three. But they hated each other and did not appear o screen together which made for some cumbersome plots...

Red

Nitpick alert!
Greg doesn't make it to the end, and Charles doesn't appear until a couple of episodes into Series 1... (removes anorak :rolleyes: )

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah yes - but [pedant] they all made it through all 3 series - just not every episode of all 3 series [/pedant]

Red :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got all 3 of the Survivors series, great stuff it is too.

The programme last night was OK, just entertainment, all I expected really. I'm a bit of a 'prepper' myself but what makes people on other survival sites always think they will survive?

Mention of loo roll got me thinking, I have three months food so I need at least three months loo roll :) 1.5 rolls per week per person X family of four plus baby call it 90 rolls for three months.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have you factored in the ahem,,looser evacuations Rik:D

Medication I'm on getting an evacuation is an event in itself. For emergency use I'm going to box up 50 packs of baby wipes on offer at Tesco just now 25p for 80 wipes, good enough for my little grandson then good enough for me. They are what I've used camping for a couple of years now, do a great job they do to.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You mean its not possible to surive without Loo roll?

Just a bit of humour Tengu but with a serious side to it, I will stockpile now. Its possible to survive without loo roll or baby wipes but life with them is so much more comfortable :) I'm an Andrex man myself.

Oh and of course you can burn paper which is not easy with a dock leaf etc and less risk of cross contamination than using a leaf; makes life tidy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE