After Armageddon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Heads up.

Interesting program on Thursday evening Channel 4 (I think) about after a great pandemic in the US. I think will be worth a watch:yikes:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
nice timing so close to halloween and the release of "the walking dead"
yay for doom and gloom programming ;D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
We have a bogie in the wire! spam reported,

Im very much looking forward to the doc, it does look like a good switch of and watch type doc, although being american im sure it will focus on roving armed bandits and the government binning all support within five mins of the disaster occuring,

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
We have a bogie in the wire! spam reported,

Im very much looking forward to the doc, it does look like a good switch of and watch type doc, although being american im sure it will focus on roving armed bandits and the government binning all support within five mins of the disaster occuring,

Either that or some sort of Police state with the Wiley survivalists running around.

I sense the film will be disappointing

(edit)Ugh...
Just watched the first 2 minutes of it on You tube...
[video=youtube;8r97xoSOEjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r97xoSOEjM[/video]

looks a bit like scenes from the the Hollywood film "Armageddon" (without the meteor)
just so sum up, the first 2 mins...
looting,
shooting,
riots,
militia groups...
frisking corpses ...Guns, etc.

(edit) just watched some more, ok it's starting to seem more sensible, and possibly useful.

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Ome thing that seldom is taken into consideration in these shows is that in previous local disasters, floods, earthquakes, tsunami, etc. there is no real anarchy. Some looting yes but as a whole people tend to cooperate to get by and make the best of it. Maybe it's different in the US, i don't know what would have happened in NO after Katrina if there had been no government interference at all. Or maybe it just makes better TV.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It would be funny if after a massive event every one just got on and decided to form a Utopian society, with little need of material things and free hugs, i doubt it but it would make at least make a mockery of the Hollywood disasterists,

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just looked at the you tube views:

"history channel After Armageddon"
(can you spot the pattern?)

1/9 29,823
2/9 13,155
3/9 10,056
...so it gets better ;)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
perhapse the people who havent watched the subsiquent shows are busy preping the there fortresses in the mountains and fitting air scrubbers,getting inocked for every kind of virus and canning peas!!:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
It would be funny if after a massive event every one just got on and decided to form a Utopian society, with little need of material things and free hugs, i doubt it but it would make at least make a mockery of the Hollywood disasterists,

yeah, lol a bit disappointing for the guy's that have built bunkers...
I was surfing some survivalist site once and some guy admitted to having in his stores a years worth of toilet paper!

I remember something that was said on "Star trek" a question (as part of the story) was raised about how they could afford the space ships, the answer, basically humans agreed that money was pointless and everyone agreed to be friends pool the worlds resources and explore the universe...

can't see that happening without some sort of mind control device, lol

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I remember tho old British show Survivors from the 70's. Basically the same plot but I think a much more realistic scenario.
As a side note that show is still good and has stood the test of time.
Did anyone notice that the people interviewed in the show were mainly firearms instructors and security consultants who of course have their own agenda.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Regards the Startrek bit, I rekon it could happen, but it would be a tipping point and easy to go either way, and being that humans generally ere towards the violent, perhapse it will have to wait,

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
star trek...nice in theory. you'd have to create some sort of global communist community so everyone had the same amount of money before everyone agreeing it was pointless, and whilst we have Oil, and religious disagreement there will always be conflict, and those willing to fight and or die for the cause.
for it to work at all everyone would have to agree to be atheist.

I remember tho old British show Survivors from the 70's. Basically the same plot but I think a much more realistic scenario.
As a side note that show is still good and has stood the test of time.

yup here it is: part 1 (the original)
[video=youtube;Ak1SrFGXgA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1SrFGXgA4&feature=related[/video]

and the remake last year:
[video=youtube;MYS54Ydtfao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYS54Ydtfao&feature=related[/video]
can't find the actual episodes, the BBC have blocked them on you tube.

Did anyone notice that the people interviewed in the show were mainly firearms instructors and security consultants who of course have their own agenda.
ugh...that figures.

Last edited:
Available on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survivors-1-3-Complete-Peter-Bowles/dp/B001EVP838/ref=pd_sim_d_h__2
I have season 1 but think I might order this now that it's crossed my mind again.

Bought this earlier this year, as I watched it in my teens but lost touch with it inthe 3rd series. I've finished series 1 and 2, just starting on series 3...

Very atmospheric - I didn't notice first time round, but there is no incidental music at all - really emphasises the emptiness in the first few episodes.

Incidentally, it is faintly amusing that the Amazon page puts the top-listed cast as Peter Bowles, who snuffs it halfway through episode 1, and Lucy Fleming, who was IIRC the only cast member to make it through the entire three series.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What i have drawn from this is that there should be ladies like Abby playing tennis in whites such as hers up and down the country, it will be a better world, FACT!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE