Advice needed - old leather satchel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
This is not really a bushcraft question but since I know there are some very skilled and experienced leather workers on here, it seemed like the best place to come for advice.
Whilst having a bit of a clear-out, I happened upon a leather satchel that I bought in Greece maybe 35+ years ago.

Leather%20Bag%202_zpsyrhivi2o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Leather%20Bag%201_zps5x8sv5yl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The back, front and flap are made out of quite thick leather and the sides and bottom are a lighter leather. It is a lovely bag and I am hoping to use it for carrying sketch-pads and watercolours - a newly acquired hobby of mine. The problem is the leather has become quite stiff and I was wondering what I should do to refurbish it. How should I treat the leather and what products should I use? Some of the stitching is coming apart on the bottom seams and I will need to repair this at some point. What grade of thread should I use?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :)

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I would use Hydrophane especially for the inside as it will soften the leather but wont be greasy for when you put your gear in it.
Followed by several applications ( over a few days) of saddle soap, on the outside.
If you are going to a tack shop to get leather stuff, get some plaiting thread , it will do for your stitching.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd work the outside first and a very, very light touch at that = do nothing to the inside.
Why not just a clean-up, bit of a wax shine and say that you're done with it?

I say that because any oily, water-resistant smudges on your good w/c papers and you can kiss that sketch good-bye.
I've been puddling around with w/c for 30+ years.
Oily finger-print smudges only happen on the best papers with the very best started paintings.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'd avoid neatsfoot oil, as it plays merry hell with stitching if its a natural material. You should look at Carnuba wax imo, this is a cream that will nourish the leather as well as give it a slightly water resistant finish. Apply a good dose and leave to soak and then buff off excess.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE