Advice needed; Cooking pot set for newbie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Get some with locking handles like the msr alpine pot. A lot like it on here for the reasons mentioned above (gas cannister etc) sort of a round mess tin. I believe it's also cloned as a zebera.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
As I suggested before, I use stainless steel mess fine with a homemade lid. They do nestle well either together or in my rucksack. Difficult to clean, not really I have seasoned my larger one and only use the smaller one for boiling water. I have cleaned mine more than once by just turning it upside down and putting it on the fire. Something i wouldnt recommend with aluminium. Difficult to fry in, I regularly fry steak so no.
First decide what you are going to be cooking and then take it from there. Then decide what fuel you are going to be using. With these two things in mind then start looking. Better still go out with people or to meets and have a look at what's being used.

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
PDA1 has it. No aluminium on an open fire - an issue for some, not for others.

Are you carrying your kit on foot? If so, how far?

What do you want to cook and for how many people?

A single can of 750ml or so may be fine for one person, and you can eat and drink from it as well. Mess tin cooking is also fine for one, IMO. That's what they were made for, after all.

A thing to note with frying pans is that a lot of the ones in the nesting kits are amazingly small - the size of a saucer - so you can only fit one egg at a time. And because we're talking about the area of a circle, an 8" pan is actually over 50% larger than a 6.5" pan. It can make a big difference.

When cooking for two, I prefer low and wide pans as they nest with a bigger frying pan, fit better in a rucksack and boil faster if you have a reasonable sized stove. A couple of deep plates can be used for soup or dryer food and you can cut on them. Fresh gathered wild garlic soup! Pan size 1.5l up, and then everything gets stored inside.

On my own I wouldn't bother with all that.

What kit you obtain depends on how it will be used. Are you using e.g. a butane burner like a pocket rocket, an alcohol stove like a Fancy feest, or cooking over an open fire? Also what are you cooking? and for how many. If solo a kettle is is, imo superfluous if using a single burner gas or alcohol stove. Will you be in a stationary camp, a short walk from your vehicle orwill you be hiking long distances with lots of elevation gain. What will you be cooking? Fresh foods like bacon will need a frying pan, but if you are just heating up cans of stew or soup,then all you need is a small pot. You can save a lot by scavenging in charity/thrift stores. We haven't mentioned budget. I take pleasure in putting together cook kits by recycling pop and tuna cans (for stoves) and repurposing ss or al bowls found in thrift stores. Seems more "bushcrafty" tp me. On the other hand, with an unlimited budget you can splash 150 p0unds on the latest,nested Titanium sets. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money and put it towards the best sleep system I could afford. I do like the earlier suggestion of repurposing (and saving) a food can to make a billy and a small frying pan - cool. And use food cans to make a hobo stove, or even a wood gas stove, to burn twigs and small sticks if you prefer a natural fuelled system.

Last edited:

hifon

BANNED - Scammer
Jun 4, 2023
United States
hello,Mr Mitchel I personally think it's difficult to "recommend specific Kit" As Kit tends to be tailored to the needs & requirements of the individual, it's what ever works best for you, buying kit can also be a costly business, so that will also be a contributory factor, you say you have been using your friends kit, so you already have a rough idea of what you want (a pot fry pan and kettle set) start with the type of cooking you want to be doing & go from there, get kit that is aesthetically pleasing to yourself & suits your own personal needs (basic at first) your Kit will inevitably evolve over time & morph into something specific to your own needs & requirements..... what ever you start out with will quite possibly be totally different to what you end up with it's the nature of the beast & all part of the fun... welcome to the forum, looking forward to your input... Searching for houses for rent in Achrafieh? Explore a wide range of available rental properties in this vibrant Beirut neighborhood. From traditional homes with character to modern, spacious houses, you'll find options that suit your preferences. Experience the unique blend of culture and convenience that Achrafieh has to offer. Find your ideal rental home today
Hello. I've been researching what set to buy for quite some time now and have decided on *Mod Deleted brand* since it seems to be the best deal for the money. There are currently two sets available from *Mod Deleted brand*: the "Advanced" which has see-through lids and rubber handles and the "Titanium" which has Stainless/Titanium lids and aluminum handles. The latter is definitely more attractive to me, although im think I might want the glass lids. Being that I know very little about what I will eventually need from my cookware, can anyone give me the pros and cons of each set or maybe offer some advice as to which one to buy? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
That may be an example of the best forum modding I've ever seen. Edit the post so it's not breaching the rules, explain why that's not on, and highlight the previous evidence that resulted in the ban. I am humbled in the face of greatness, your mod-ship. :notworthy2:

I'll now go and read this venerable thread, 'cos ain't no-one newbie-r than I. Of course then I'll find out half the things suggested don't exist any more, but so it goes for the avid archive reader.;)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love my two msr pans, very usefull as can be used on any sort of stove or open fire. I have a small one, also a much larger one. I forget which sizes, one is for things like heating up a can of soup etc, the other is for more dedicated cooking of perhaps a stew.
I have a stainless steel frying pan, with removable handle, no idea what make it is, (charity shop purchase) and a small fishing kettle that holds enough for two mugs of tea.
They all stack nicely in a bag I made.
I mainly use these on gas stoves, or my home made IKEA cutlery drainer woodstove , so I have made a drawstring bag to hold them, and stop them messing up my kit on the way home with their sooty backsides. :)
I have multiple cooking options, but this is my go to set almost always.
I did make a Billy to go with the IKEA stove from a tea bag canister, after making a very basic one from a large coffee can scrumped from a local cafe recycling bin, and a wire coat hanger, the other hanger made a toasting fork. Cost...free, apart from the cutlery drainer which cost a pound from the charity shop.
It doesn't have to cost a fortune. I made these about 8 yrs ago, and they are still going.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE