A Winter get together (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i thought you might like a look at some pics of a wee get together we had on the last weekend of November,around the :campfire:

Myself and a few like minded people braved the winter weather,which decided to dump quite a bit of snow on us :rolleyes:

I myself set out on the Thursday morning,with just a fluttering of snow across the Scottish borders.
I arrived around lunch time to a cold but snowless camp location, to be greeted by Patrick,his kids and Scott(Typha).
The view.
smoventrip1.jpg

A view of the camp,with Scott(Typha) and AndyE having a natter.
smoventrip2.jpg

Well the rest of Thursday was spent chatting and settling in.

On the Friday,whilst waiting on others arriving,Scott started to make his Sm-oven,which was a smoker and oven combined,from what nature provided.
The front.
smoventrip4.jpg

The side.
smoventrip5.jpg

And the smoke hole at the rear.
smoventrip6.jpg

And with the backdrop.
smoventrip.jpg

At this point i started to give Scott a hand by sealing the inside of the oven with mud,then a good covering of seaweed to finish it off.
smoventrip7.jpg

All that was left to do was to select a door,after some beachcombing and gathering a few likely suspects we made our choice.
The door in position.
smoventrip8.jpg

Well time was ticking by and a few others had arrived,so we left the sm-oven until the Saturday. We settled round the fire for a good hearty Venison stew followed by charades :p,after much laughter and Chestnuts roasted on an open fire,we turned in about 1-ish.

The Saturday saw more outdoorsy stuff going on,Scott turned his attention to building a primitive forge along with Mark and Vince(Windward),to beat some metal senseless.Patrick taught basket weaving too Farquhar,young Andy,Peter(Woods man),Kat and old Andy :D
Young Andy(left),Patrick(centre),old Andy(right) basket weaving.
smoventrip3.jpg

While that was going on i lit a fire to heat up the oven.
smoventrip9.jpg

Once heated,the embers scraped out,in went a bannock that Vince knocked up.Whilst the bannock cooked we lit another fire in the bottom of the sm-oven,to help retain the heat for the bannock.
So after about 30 mins this was the result,lovely warm bannock,the top of it was not as brown as i would of liked but,it tasted great anyway.
smoventrip11.jpg

So after that success we though a nice wee roasted Partridge would be the order for the day.While Vince stoked the oven up for another firing.
smoventrip12.jpg

I assembled the ingredients,Partridge,bacon and a clove of garlic.
smoventrip13.jpg

Ingredients with the oven heating up.
smoventrip14.jpg

The garlic went inside the bird and the it was wrapped completely in bacon.
Wrapped ready for the oven.
smoventrip15.jpg

This time i left the dying embers inside the oven,sweeping them to the sides.After 50 mins it was time for a taste.
Yum-yum.
smoventrip16.jpg

It turned out great.
smoventrip17.jpg

Scott and Mark beat some metal into knife blades as the sun grew lower in the sky,(Sorry no pics,as I was to busy cooking and munching,maybe one of the others might have some pics they could add).
So Saturday nights meal was Venison curry cooked by Patrick and Pakoras supplied by Andy E,washed down with a couple of beers thanks to Farquhar,luvly jubbly. After some more games, Chestnuts and laughter we hit the sack just after 12.
Sunday.
Well it had been just cold up until now,I was sharing a group shelter with Mark and Scott when I awoke to grey early light,at this point my bladder told me it needed emptying,so I got out of my warm bed to take a leak,when I got out of the shelter I found it was snowing ,not a lot just about half a centimetre,but it was still on.After returning to my scratch for another couple of hours I was woken by mark looking for firewood,and informing me and Scott that it was snowing rather heavily.So after breakfast was out of the way thoughts turned to getting ready for the journey home,we all decided to get under way at about 1 oclock,but the snow just did’nt let up.It took us about 3 hours to travel a couple of miles to get to the main road.
I know it took Farquhar 7 hours to get home,while I decided to slum-it in a hotel as it was just not safe to carry on driving.
On Monday I managed to get as far as Craigm9’s place in Stirlingshire,where I had to spend the next 3 days as the roads were impassable down to the Borders.Craig himself could’nt get to his work due to the conditions,but the time was’nt wasted as craig took me to his local haunt for a walk in the snow.we also took his air rifle and shot some targets.
Craig in the snow.
alva14.jpg

The Targets.
alva.jpg

alva1.jpg

Shhhh we’re huntin wabbits!!!
alva12.jpg

alva13.jpg

A big thanks to Craig for putting up with me for the 3 days,cheers mate.
And to all who attended the meet,I hope you all got home safe and well.
Oh before I forget,for those in the know. Re-tarr-ed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Stuart.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nice pics wee man, nice to see you keeping all those skills up to date, was just having a go at the hand drill set you gave me at Comriecroft meet, oh cheers for the blisters....:35:

Hope you and family are keeping well, give my regards

Col...

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
looks great
thanks for the pics wished it would snow a bit more here in devon so i could get some time of work
did anything else take some pop shots

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Good pics ,like the oven ! I have still not used the fish hook, you showed me how to make at cromrie croft but will give it a go when the season starts again .

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE