a very fine day indeed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Well after mamny, many hours of practice and yards of cord, many drills, hearths and frustrations I have finally achieved a coal. :D Well 4 consecutive coals. And the 3rd and 4th made it all the way to a flame and fires. :D

I used many combinations, the one that worked for me was poplar hearth and hazel spindle (cheers Gary) :You_Rock_ and the tip I used of trying 2 strings instead of one to help get through the drill sticking worked a treat. :p

So I'm off on a double celebration tonight after landing a better job and pay rise earlier this week, and to drink to my coals.

For those who haven't managed it, you will. And the joy when you do is immeasurable.

aaaaahhhhhh, I can relax knowing I have done it.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Cheers for the words folks.

Rich, I'll be having a go soon with the hand drill, is buddlea any good, and in your experience what works well with a poplar drill.

Ta

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Buddliea is great. Cut a few straight pieces 2-3ft long with the larger end 1.5 - 2 cm diameter. Strip off all the bark and smooth off any knots. The larger end should then be about 1.2 - 1.7 cm diameter. Then dry them in the airing cupboard or other summer temperature dry place for at least 2 days. One or two may split, so have some spares.

Poplar can be tricky in finding a good drill piece. But if you can form a good drill then it can produce a coal out of light brown punk (which is a bit of a surprise).

Hearth boards - whatever you are used to using with bow drill. I mostly use commercial pine (but you must keep it "airing cupboard" dry).

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Well done Hawsome. New job, better pay and fire by friction... and I bet I know which of the three gives you best feeling inside! :)

I want to get to grips with the hand drill as well. I have some well dried buddleia but none of it is straight enough for the job. I think I will have to make a double socket of wood so I can attach a short length of the buddleia to a nice straight piece of hazel or similar and have a go like that.

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
Nice one!
I have yet to try this. I've only just started to delve into the vast knowledge base that is bushcraft. Hopefully I'll have this cracked by next year (hoping to go on a course by then)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE