A Special Place

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A Special Place

Inspired by lone wanderer’s blog, I thought I’d share this place with the forum.

It is a U shaped lake about 4- 5 km long with many arms.

I nominally share it with 3 others but I go in more than the others who visit maybe 4-5 times a year. They find the walk in a bit too long. For me it is perfect as I very seldom see people unless I am bringing them in. I usually went in about once a week. Now sine January, it is once in 2 months as I live a thousand kilometers away. A year can go by without seeing anyone. In the last two years I have only encountered two local trappers.

When I get to the boards, I paddle out into the lake and just sit there and take it all in

paddle.jpg

This is one of the few times that people have come in.
Junglelakeboardsandshack-1.jpg

Most people are keen initially but then get concerned about safety and other phobias. Its best by oneself or with just one or two others who you know are sound in the outdoors. Fly fishermen seem to be the best company.

The mood varies at different times of the day. I like it best just before sunset.

This is Scrub at that time of day
DSCN1620.jpg

and here is another in a different part of the lake with the kids who are standing on a log
DSCN1671.jpg

The sunset is often spectacular. This photo is not enhanced in any way

Junglelakesunset.jpg

Sometimes hundreds or thousands of flying fox (large fruit bats with a 5 foot wing span) fly over at sunset as they leave their roosts to forage for a nights feeding

The day time bird life includes a pair of sea eagles, Brahminy kites and an oriental darter. The fish are not large. The largest I have seen is about 12 inches. Animals include wild pigs and monkeys and smaller critters like civet cats. I would not be surprised to find sun bears but I have not seen their claw marks on the trees. I don’t think there are any deer left and the local trappers do not think so either.

We have some camps around the lakes. This is the latest one built last December
DSCN1613.jpg

This was another one now in disrepair..
P1010058.jpg

This is a view from another, now defunct, on the other part of the lake.

Junglelake1.jpg

The timber gets moved to the new site when it is time to move.

This is a storage camp for extra kit. It is best not to have all the kit in one place even though the Iban who live a few miles away are quite honest. about the mess but
DSCN0830.jpg

Its not just the lake that is great. The walks on the ridge are wonderful especially at the end of day
DSCN0849.jpg

They are interesting at night as well though not everyone thinks so
DSCN0853.jpg

There are several little waterslides around the lake that make for a cooling dip for the kids
DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

We can do full BBQs but I prefer a small fire and simple food.

DSCN1509.jpg

The others prefer a bigger camp but I am happy just swinging away in a hammock with the forest and the dog(s) for company unless I am with the kids who get a real charge out of the experience. Some dads get to relive their childhood too.
DSCN0890.jpg

Only one thing would make it perfect – a source of cold beer!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I love your posts BOD, always give me a good dose of day dreaming that help me get through my very boring days :thanks:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE