A pair of knives and piggyback sheaths (pics heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I do like the design of those knives, and the sheaths individually are very well made and look tough to boot. But I gotta say I really don't like the idea of packing all that weight on one side, It looks really bulky. Just my opinion like.

The scandi to convex looks well blended and would be great I reckon for skinning and leather working, and the weight excellent for bone chopping and clearing work, the scandi does look to be a bit steep on it, Is the stock thinned before it gets to the scandi edge?
Look to be good for drawing, and a sharp spine for sparking and scraping perhaps too?

It looks like your trying to what I am planning to do, which is get a perfect all round set for anywhere, And I hope those styles pan out to to just that.

Everything else aside, good bloody job.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Is that the blade you brought over mine?..The big'un..

Yes, it is Nigel.

Hi Jojo, Top work there, i like the brass nut & bolt bit mate.
Cheers Topknot.

I tried various ways to hold the two sheaths together. In the end I chose the simplest and most secure. I also made leather washers to protect the leather sheaths and used a nylock nut.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I do like the design of those knives, and the sheaths individually are very well made and look tough to boot. But I gotta say I really don't like the idea of packing all that weight on one side, It looks really bulky. Just my opinion like.

The scandi to convex looks well blended and would be great I reckon for skinning and leather working, and the weight excellent for bone chopping and clearing work, the scandi does look to be a bit steep on it, Is the stock thinned before it gets to the scandi edge?
Look to be good for drawing, and a sharp spine for sparking and scraping perhaps too?

It looks like your trying to what I am planning to do, which is get a perfect all round set for anywhere, And I hope those styles pan out to to just that.

Everything else aside, good bloody job.

I should say now that this set is the result of a cooperation with a member here over the last few months. No doubt, he'll be along sometimes to give his side of this story. I just wanted to be sure he was happy to give it before I mentioned it!

I haven't used the Chopper, (in case I messed it up ;) ), so i can't say how good its going to be for it's intended purpose.

I should say now that this set is the result of a cooperation with a member here over the last few months. No doubt, he'll be along sometimes to give his side of this story. I just wanted to be sure he was happy to give it before I mentioned it!

I haven't used the Chopper, (in case I messed it up ;) ), so i can't say how good its going to be for it's intended purpose.

And that member is....me!

I originally contacted JoJo because he made my, up to then, favorite all time knife - a standard (for JoJo that is!) Nessmuk with a subtle woodlore proflile cocobolo handle. My only gripe with this knife was that the blade edge came right up to the handle and the curve of the blade and handle was the same at this point (in keeping with JoJo's design of the most elegant Nessie around IMO) which was a bit of a safety issue with regards to my index finger or thumb - depending on grip.

At the same time I have always been a fan of the Leuku/ Puuko knife combo but felt that the traditional Leuku design (long 3mm blade - scandi grind the whole length) whilst great in purely coniferous environments - didn't suit British, deciduous, hardwood woodland.

The big knife needed a bit more oomph! Scandi isn't ideal for chopping tasks and this was going to be an ideal opportunity to brief a designer what I wanted a large blade to do. The overall concept was going to be a cross between a kukri and a machete.

I asked JoJo to make the Nessie handle slightly longer and incorporate a small choil and at the same time I gave him the brief for the chopper which was as follows:

1) Blade as short as possible - but with weight at the point to compensate (hence 5mm).

2) Convex grind for at least the last third of the edge, tapering to scandi grind towards the handle for finer work (feathersticking, shaving etc).

3) The spine of the blade needed to be straight and fairly rounded towards the tip to afford a comfortable grip for drawing, and square edged towards the handle for shaving/ firesteel work.

4) Piggy back sheath encompassing all carrying options (belt, double dangler and baldrick) for both knives together and separately, with a DC4 holder and firesteel loop on the Nessie sheath.

Not too much to ask then!!! OK, enough for now - part 2 and my verdict to follow...

Hi guys,

Sorry this is late but work has been a bitch and besides, this deserves a bump!!

I'm going to, largely, bypass the Nessie because I was pretty confident that JoJo would turn my favorite all round knife into my perfect all round knife with a few customer demands and he didn't disappoint - the blade profile is exactly the same as Nessie Mk1 - but now I have the slightly longer handle and the choil to keep my fingers away from the edge.

My choice of wood for the handles was dictated by my late Father who, amongst other things, left me his cherished Hawthorn walking stick with a burr elm crook handle - the fact that JoJo's surname is French for "of the Elm" made it pretty inevitable! JoJo couldn't acquire burr elm blanks with the same colour match - which was a disappointment at first - but as you can see from the photos, the differing shades of wood (with the firesteel as well) make a pleasing overall combo and each knife has it's own individual beauty.

On to the chopper:

It's the business! As an axe substitute for British hardwood woodland - it's perfect. It chops on a par with my SFA and I have the super sharp scandi grind near the handle for finer work. It's short enough to be discreet and long (and heavy) enough for serious beating - at 5mm along it's entire length the balance is well forward - just what I wanted. I use the Nessie for skinning and notch carving - but for just about anything else, especially firewood prep, feathersticking included - out comes this!

JoJo has already mentioned that the sheaths were a problem for him - and we had a long correspondence on it (this project was done entirely on PM's). In the end I decided to let the designer design and JoJo produced the goods. The combo is actually quite light on the belt - although I tend to carry the them separately - the Nessie on my right hip and the chopper as a baldrick/ sling - this enables me to carry the big knife discreetly and it's one of the reasons that I use it so much - the handle protrudes from under my left armpit and is just so easy to grab! Unfortunately it's a wee bit on the big side for skinning Mr Bunny so Nessie does see the light of day!

One final note:

Knife design is definitely subjective - we are all familiar with the 4mm "Woodlore" design. I tried this (I have an excellently made Stuart Marsh knife) but I couldn't get on with it. I love the continuous curve of the Nessmuk - for my needs there is no better knife for skinning small game and general fine work (carving aside). I have always decried large knives as unnecessary - until now - JoJo's chopper meets all my needs for a heavy duty knife and, short as it is, I would even take it to the jungle in place of a machete.

In short - I am a very lucky boy!!

Improviser

Tenderfoot
Excellent rig really like it especially the modular sheath arrangement.
I am currently modding my knives/pouches so they can fix together depending on needs,i like my kit to be flexible but at the same time more on the minimalist side & unobtrusive otherwise it sort of defeats the object really if your not going to carry/attach things because there awkward.
Cheers

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I am glad the chopper has lived up to your hopes and expectations, Fin. When I made it, I had thought to actually try it :eek: but didn't dare... Knowing my luck I would have hit the only lump of metal in a whole forest of trees...:D

If you have some "action" pics I'd quite like to see them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE