A pair of knives and piggyback sheaths (pics heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Here is a project I have been working on for some time now.

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

DSCN0987.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

Both knives are made of 01 tool steel. The handles are stabilised Burr Elm with black liners and brass fittings.

The smaller knife is a Nessmuk with a 3mm thick, 4 1/2" blade.

The larger "chopper" is 5 mm thick. The blade is 8" long, with a 5" handle. A lot of the weight is at the pointy end. The straight part of the blade is a scandi grind and the rounded part is a convex grind.

Both blades are etched with ferric acid.

The sheaths were the most troublesome to design and make. The blades are quite dissimilar in shapes and size, and making sheaths that worked as a pair but also individually, both practically and esthetically, was quite a challenge. That was really jumping in at the deep end!

The whole thing can be carry on a leather sling, on the back, under arm, on the front of the body. It can also be carried on the belt and has a double dangler loop. Both sheath/knives can also be carried individually when wanted. The pouch on the front of the Nessie sheath is to carry a DC4 sharpening stone.

I am very pleased with the result, although I am not sure I would want to make another set like that just yet! I have learned a lot from making these. One of the learned things is that I prefer to work on smaller projects!

I hope you enjoy looking at it!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I really like the look of that Nessmuk knife.
Can I ask who the maker is?
What material is the handle and liners, and what steel is it?
[Very nice work BTW]

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can I use the adjective 'gorgeous' without sounding like a lassie?

'cos that's what it is.

Tom.
(happily harried with children).;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks gentlemen!

I really like the look of that Nessmuk knife.
Can I ask who the maker is?
What material is the handle and liners, and what steel is it?
[Very nice work BTW]

I made them :D The handles are stabilised Burr Elm and black fiber liners and the steel I used is 01 tool steel.

Is the DC4 pouch also removable ? looks as though the flap can thread back through the pouch allowing you to take it off

Yes it is removable, Puub, exactly in that way.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The thing I like with your stuff Joel is that there is si much "new" stuff in your work. It evolves and changes as ideas occur to you.

I do like those sheaths - very reminiscent of the one you did for me. Bed thats heavy on the belt though - I think I would carry it shoulder slung. I love the "mix and match" dimension most I think

Red

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I like the look of those, especially that chopper!

A bit OT, knives with that blade shape - pretty much all belly, are they designed for trapping/hunting? I know that a long belly is good for skinning so it that what that blade shape is designed for?

Thanks,
Asa.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like the look of those, especially that chopper!

A bit OT, knives with that blade shape - pretty much all belly, are they designed for trapping/hunting? I know that a long belly is good for skinning so it that what that blade shape is designed for?

Thanks,
Asa.

Any knife with a belly will out slice any knife without, no matter the material being cut.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Any knife with a belly will out slice any knife without, no matter the material being cut.

Ok, why is this?

EDIT: I understand that having the belly will give a smaller area to put pressure on which will make it easier to slice (the same reason serrations work) but why have such a big belly? Maybe it's the beer? :p

2nd edit: Ok, I guess if you are slicing long strips I can see why the big belly would help. Never mind :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
how many working hours did it take you?

Not the slightest idea..:eek:

The thing I like with your stuff Joel is that there is si much "new" stuff in your work. It evolves and changes as ideas occur to you.

Thank you Red. That's probably because I get bored easily!! I find it tedious to do too many similar things one after the other. On the other hand, I find doing different things, playing with new ideas, stimulating. Keeps dementia at bay, I hope!

Just as well I don't do this to make a living, otherwise, I am sure I could easily afford to move under a bush at the end of the lane..:D

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Extraordinary work JoJo!

I also enjoy the concept of "mix and match" gear for the trip and having a piggy back arrangement guarantees that ability. The pride in workmanship really shows, congratulations. I hope you have children to pass that kit onto some day my friend, it's certainly deserving of it.

Can we see some shots of the kit worn in alternate ways plz?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE