a meths question....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I wrap my stoves in fibreglass wick string and place a few drops of meths on this to prime. This gets the stove going nicely with a lighter but I haven't tried it yet with just a spark.

Chris, if you would like some wick to try, PM me your address and I will send some your way?

Steve.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I've been using Trangia burners for many years, and never had trouble lighting one in cold colditions. My routine is to try 3 times with a firesteel, and if it still isn't lit use a Lifeboat match. As soon as there's a flame, put a pot on, as it saves fuel, and holds the heat close to the burner.

I currently have 2 burners in my kit, one to go in the Honey Stove, and one in the Mini-trangia stand, which fits in my Trangia kettle packed round with drink sachets.

Alan

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks gents, some awesome ideas there, after looking at another thread i have decided to try out the very small tin with loft insulation inside to exstend the fuel.....

tried my screw top char cloth tin today with just meths added to the empty tin, it burned ok but was very yellow and caused soot on my mug which then went into my pocket...

will make one with the filling and see what happens, i will also use a bean tin as a wind sheald instead of a trangia thingey stove wind shield type thing????

many thanks gents.

regards.

chris..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE