A little disappointed with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We have to try the slaughtering method they still use in some buddhist countries.

drive your herd over a cliff.

(you have to admit it must be visually appealing)

(And dont get me on the fact that in such countries they still have an untouchable caste to butcher...Yes, they are fond of meat!)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
(you have to admit it must be visually appealing))

what, as they are falling?...

or the pile of broken, dying, writhing cattle once they have "landed"

seems like the kind of scenario a psychiatrist would use to determine certain things,...hahaha

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
First nation people used the heard over a cliff method, I respect how other peoples hunt\hunted their food, I'm off down the local dairy farm to get me some burgers baby!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, but that was a (very wasteful) hunting method.

These are domestic stock we are talking about.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Our ancestors used to do it with mammoths..........it was a mammoth tusk,

beyond-epic-facepalm-facepalm-stupid-fail-dumb-death-demotivational-poster-1284049056.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No arguments here - it was the sport of "poking holes in living things purely for fun" I meant ;)

I used to do a hell of a lot of carp fishing and the like but in recent years i just cant bring my self to do it.
A friend who still does asked why i gave it up and when i said "it felt a bit cruel" he hit back with "well you fly fish and when you catch you smack it on the head and take it home"...
The worse places were the fisheries where you would pull a carp out every 20 minutes thats lip was so full of holes i wonder how it fed, some fish had 3 or more hooks in their lip, sad sight for such a beauftiful animal.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
some fish had 3 or more hooks in their lip, sad sight for such a beauftiful animal.

thats just bad drills, no need for that with barb-less hooks, and as for the holes, the water must be fished very often, maybe too often....:(

i dont tend to fish now, just because i dont have time, so i sold my 2k of gear for £50 to the bloke up the road, still have my small sea spinning rod though, and would give any fish a quick bash to send it on its way, id rather it be a quick bash than a slow starvation of oxygen.....

each to their own though....

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I know fishing by its very nature is cruel, but I can't see the point in arguing that it's okay to extend the suffering of any animal because other fish suffer when they are caught commercially.

I suppose I just expected Ray to show more concern, especially when holding the fish on the line - which must, without the buoyancy of the water to suspend the fish, be incredibly painful (if indeed, you believe fish feel pain). As I said, I was taught not to let them suffer needlessly. Seems a no-brainer to me, if you want to be in any ways humane. I mean, if it was a rabbit, you wouldn't hold it up by a snare while still alive, or a deer, if not killed cleanly, allow it suffer while you did a piece to camera, what difference there is with a fish, I don't know.

As for all becoming Buddhist, would the world be a worse place if we were - heads shaved or not ;).

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
IMO, the whole thread has gotten way off the original point, which was Chubby's non-observance of practices
that he professes he holds close to his heart - not some aboriginal tribal member in a country most here
would have trouble spelling.....

I agrre with the original post - he was in the wrong.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE