A good time to collect Reed mace pollen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've been collecting pollen from Reed Mace/Cattail (Typha meaning "a cat's tail" latifolia meaning broad leaved) flowers today.

Reedmaceflower.jpg
[/IMG]

By covering the flower with a bag and tapping it, it doesn't take long to gather a reasonable amount. I mix it with flour in bannock mixes as a source of protein.

ReedMacepollen.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: Toddy

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
cool!
one for the pot,
the only reed beds around Norwich involve some wading, i have a dry suit so i shall see if i can get some!

Top advice! :D

Here's how to make Reed mace pollen bannock.

To every one of pollen i add 3 of self raising flour.

Pollenandflour.jpg
[/IMG]

Add a pinch of salt and baking powder and mix.

Pollenandflourmix.jpg
[/IMG]

Add water and mix into a dough.

pollenbannockdough.jpg
[/IMG]

Place in a billy can, in the fire and cook for 20 minutes.

pollenbannockcut.jpg
[/IMG]

As Red mace pollen was used in the manfacture of fireworks, I tried sparking into some. Although it would not ignite into flame it did smoulder rather like a bow-drill ember and could be used in the same way.

ReedMacepollenember.jpg
[/IMG]

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Good tips. I went looking for some but all i found was this:

cimg0220.jpg

On your course I remember you saying something about the best time of year to collect this as tinder, but I can't remember the details.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Quick reply! What exactly is it? Is it common reed rather than reedmace? Can you eat the root?

I would still like to find some reedmace. Will I find it in the same kind of places as this stuff?

A barrage of questions :D. Cheers.

Biddlesby said:
Quick reply! What exactly is it? Is it common reed rather than reedmace? Can you eat the root?

I would still like to find some reedmace. Will I find it in the same kind of places as this stuff?

A barrage of questions :D. Cheers.

"Is it common reed rather than reedmace?" check the fact files on the CD ROM :p

This is the seed head of Reed Mace (see post one for latin name), looks like a cigar when fresh, but this is about 9 months old now and is opening to release the seeds. At this stage it makes really good tinder.

As you have found this, there should also be flower heads in the same area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE