3 by 3 ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
My finger is hovering over the buy button for a 3x3 tatonka tarp at outdoorcode but a quick question first. For those using one of MKs fantastic hammocks, will this be big enough to keep me dry at both ends in the traditionl British weather or should I go for the 3x4? (pitched square on rather than diagonal)

Hi,

Aussie hotchies are a little short for the MK hammocks - not sure of hootchie sizes but I think they are 2.7m long. I have in the past had to reduce the length of my hammock, to get the drip-rings and hammock ends under cover, by putting two figure eight knot in the ends and put short lengths of hazel pegs in the knots to stop them pulling tight with my 15 stone - worked fine although seemed to make the hammock tight at the shoulders.

So I guess what I'm saying is 3x3 is going to cope with most situations and certainly give you a lot more living space than a hootchie - but the 3x4 is going to be more than enough.

I want a polycotton Tatonka for longer stays in one spot where weight is not an issue and I would buy the 3x4.

Hope this helps?

Phil.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have a 3x4 and can use it sideways ok with the hammock. I do find the 4 meters a bit too long for the hammock. I generally use the hex fly which is just right....
3x3 will do you fine, and if you need extra length, just use it diagonally...

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have the 3x3 and it's fine for the hammock. I pitch mine on the diagonal (diamond shaped) and it covers both ends of a taught hammock by about half a metre, which is plenty enough.

Eric

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I want to know the answer to this as my hootchie is too small to cover the ends of the hammock........4x3 though £79 :eek:
D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It's a pity, but outdoorcode has been having some bad press on here recently about fulfilling orders, so in all honesty I'd give serious thought to ordering from there at the moment. I've used Andrew on several occasions previously and the service and price have been superb, but it seems this isn't the case recently.

Genuine Army Surplus stock it too, at a reasonable price, but they only have the polycotton one.

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/name=tatonka-tarp-2-tc/rowid=595

In the interests of fairness, I've used GAS several times and the service has been excellent, but they too have been the subject of the odd complaint on here. You'll have to search.

You pays your money....:D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have had great service from O.C but seems some problems have been had. I am not in the position to understand why these problems occur, but as being in retail myself customer satisfaction is of big importance to me!!!!!!!!!( Hell I even received an award for it recently)
I find that if you go out of your way to help people even if items are out of stock most peeps will wait as they know whats going on. I think its the lack of information and communication that can rack people off.
Dave
As mentioned great service from O.C myself.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
I just bought my 3x3 tech cotton tatonka from http://www.trekdirect.co.uk after a quick call to check if they had stock.
Very good price (postage is included) and it arrived 2 days after the order.

At the delamere meet I used it for the first time to cover my Paradise Double hammock. It would only cover it on the diagonal, but it gave a nice amount of space. I noticed that a lot of people with the Group Buy hammocks used 3x3 tarps not on the diagonal, which I have to say I was quite jealous of (seemed to give much more usable space under the tarp).

On mine - to shed the water more efficiently, I ended up using 4 guys as well as the ridgeline.
Here's a pic (before adding the 2 extra guys)...
camp1.jpg

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Good prices (well considering other prices I've seen) but why did yours need to be on the diag where others the same size didn't have to be?
Not really that familiar with the tatonka is it more trapezoid shape?
I'm now thinking the 4x3 but the cottom mix one on the link is 1.8k......hmnnn I get easily confused.
Dave

I want to know the answer to this as my hootchie is too small to cover the ends of the hammock........4x3 though £79 :eek:
D

Hi tommy the cat,

I covered this in an earlier post with a "bad weather solution: -

Aussie hotchies are a little short for the MK hammocks - not sure of hootchie sizes but I think they are 2.7m long. I have in the past had to reduce the length of my hammock, to get the drip-rings and hammock ends under cover, by putting two figure eight knot in the ends and put short lengths of hazel pegs in the knots to stop them pulling tight with my 15 stone - worked fine although seemed to make the hammock tight at the shoulders.

I works well and keeps the ends of you hammock and drip rings under cover - hope this helps.

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE