22 hours in the Wilderness (With some photos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You old salts are going to scoff at this, I know, but some of us have to take that step one day. This was mine and a first in a long long time. Must be over 10 years since I went camping. (Sleeping rough doesn't count though.)

Friday afternoon. Got the rucksack all packed up as well as two gasmask cases with some assorted tools, camera and water. Loaded up the bicycle (Yes I own one of those, as well as a Kawasaki 600) and was out the door by 5pm. Cycled to some woods very locally. Actually only a ¼ mile away at the most. It's a nice spot that I scouted out earlier in the month.

Arrived having waded through waist high stinging nettles. (Mental note to self: wear long-sleeved shirt on the way out!) Parked bike against tree and looked for dock leafs. Gave up trying as they all look alike there.

Camping1.jpg

Set up tarp, actually it's a camoulflaged poncho I traded with Tengu for a drawknife. (Thanks Hon'!) Very nice it is too. Unpacked the brand new netting hammock I got from ebay (£8.50) with a breaking strain of 200kgs, my paltry 89kgs should be fine in it. Got that all rigged and ready and tested it with the sleeping bag on it. No such luck, it just wouldn't stay open and flat, kept forming into a rope. Found a seasoned fallen branch and cut two poles 18inches long and cut a V notch in each end using my folding saw. Wedged it between the end ropes to force the strings into a net and not a rope. Worked a treat. Laid out the sleeping bag and used the handy toggles to loop it into the netting to hold it in place.

Everything hunky dory.

7.30pm Fired up the hobo stove on it's maiden voyage and it worked a treat. Tested how long it took to boil water and it was just over 6mins, once the smoke and flames died down a bit of course. Dinner methinks. Dug out the tin of Baxters Spicy Parsnip soup. Had in on a shelf in the basement for-evah and though it's quite hot here I had to have a reason to warm something on the stove, I don't drink tea, coffee was asking for it since I was planning on sleeping in a hammock for the first time and the hot chocolate was still in the cupboard at home. D'oh! :togo:

All was going well, the nifty little handle to lift off and on the pots worked fine, then I lifted off the tin of soup and in a moments lack of concentration let the grip relax a bit and I dropped the lot on the ground.

I had a banana instead between curses.

Camping2.jpg

Camping3.jpg

Damped out the smoldering coals, cleaned up the set as best I could and wondered what to do now? No room for my drawing pad so no Bushcraft Betty tonight and I doubted I could be bothered to read another chapter of his Lordship Mears' Complete Outdoor Handbook. Not exactly gripping litrature. So I adjourned to the boudoir and retired at 9.30pm. :yikes:

Sat gingerly in the hammock lifted one foot up and slipped off one paraboot, somehow did the same with the other foot without upsetting the who shabang, got my feet inside the sleeping bag pulled up the zip ... and broke it. The zip opened up behind the toggle part. B*****ks!

Wrapped myself up, put on my peaked cap with the fly net over the top so that the peak kept it from touching my face (cunning eh?) and snuggled down for the night.

Someone forgot to tell the insects, birds, lions, tigers and bears it was now officially bed time.

Laid there trying not to move and let sleep overcome me, but my brain was having none of it. Just when I was about to give up, I woke up around 1.30am to find someone had forgot to turn off the moon. I could see it above the mound of my feet. Dug out the new torch and played with that for a bit expecting the light to reflect dozens of hungry beady eyes reflecting back at me in the darkness. Not a sausage. I discovered now that my bum was a bit cold too. Groped in the darkness for my sitting pad (Gardener's kneeling pad) and slipped that under myself and soon I was warm as toast again. :campfire:

Sometime in the night my stomach rumbled and I cursed again my stupidity for dropping the soup.

Woke again at silly o'clock when I heard, and especially felt, one of the strings holding my hammock together snap. Maybe skipping dinner hadn't been such a bad idea after all. The ground got just a bit closer and my right shoulder dropped 2 inches too. Should be fun the rest of the night teetering on the brink. :nono:

7.20am I woke listing badly to starboard but still in the hammock. Exhaled and saw condensed breath (bit like steam) Twas a tad parky out there... what am I saying? I AM out there! No tent. Naked to the elements. Suddenly I felt very different, like I'd turned a corner somehow, from reading about it to actually doing it.
Somehow I'd survived my first Bushcraft night. A few nights flaked out at biker rallys in a field without a tent and under a plastic sheet didn't really count. That was dossing not Bushcrafting.

Surprised myself by dropping off again till 8.20 then got up. Had the other banana for breakfast and really missed my Weetabrix and cornflakes slurry I normally have. Sat back on the hammock sideways and read several more chapters of Mr Mears' book and learnt how to make snow shoes and how to make fish hooks from thorns and baby dolphins.

Camping4.jpg

So began my Saturday. I set myself a few tasks to do while in the wilderness. Making fire was first on the list.

Made a bow drill having disregarded Mr Mears advice about which wood was best as they all looked alike to my untrained eyes. But did pick dry wood for drill and bottom piece and green wood for the bow. I set to feverishly and soon got plenty of soot and embers and got them going into something that I knew would actually burn. I didn't have kindling etc to hand but that wasn't essential, it was the process to get the that stage I was aiming to crack.

Rewarded myself with a chocolate eclair toffee. Think how they reward trained seals and you won't be far off the mark. "Ark! Ark!"

Next I tried using sparks from a fire steel and got nowhere fast. Resorted to magnesium shavings and still no luck, sparks were going off in all directions but not right bloody there where I needed it. Lunchtime was looming and still I hadn't got my fire going and I promised myself I wouldn't eat, figuratively speaking, if I can't cook it I'd go hungry. Some perseverance and well a well aimed lucky spark firing soon got an ember that stayed alight long enough for me to blow on it and next the magnesium caught. Way hey! Lunchtime!

Ham bread roll, an apple and some water with a choclate toffee eclair for dessert. Yes I pushed the boat out. I could have even had it candlelit if I'd chosen to.

Did a few other things I wanted to do like learn a couple of new knots, made some wooden toggles for my ex-army sleeping bag, sharpened up my whittling knife and stropped it. Checked all the rest of my kit and figured the night and day had been a success. I was well pleased with myself. Smug even.

Camping5.jpg

Packed up the bicycle with all the gear. Went back through the stinging nettles forgetting to wear a long-sleeved shirt but avoided getting stung. Was about to step out of the wood onto the road and saw a 2 foot long grass snake basking in a patch of sunshine. Never seen a snake before in the wild, at least not a live one. :yikes:

Boy, was I glad I slept in a hammock last night.

Conclusion and lessons learnt:

Take less gear unless I plan on using all of it. I didn't even get to try out my take down bow saw. The small entrenching tool stayed strapped to the bikes carrier. The other water bottle I took didn't even get used. The other poncho stayed wrapped up as well as the bivvy bag I had in case I had to resort to ground dwelling if the hammock proved too uncomfortable.

I liked the hammock but missed sleeping on my side and the feet up sitting position could be a little flatter for my liking. Can horizontal sleeping positions be achieved in a hammock? I hope so.

Going solo is OK, but lonely. I'm the type of person who works better in a team, even with just another person there I'd have probably got a lot more achieved I'm sure had we pushed each other into trying different things. Bushcraft Betty where were you when I needed you?

So I survived my 22 hours in the big bad wilderness. Came home at 2pm with only 2 mozzy bites. One on my right forearm when got hot using the bowdrill and another on my left big toe when I got hot in the night and put my foot and an armoured piercing mozzy got me through my sock. Git.

I had fun and lived to tell the tale.

Thanks for reading.

Biker

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice one Aaron, sounds like you had a rare old time. I've found I enjoy both solo and company trips, both are right to do when you are in the mood. Although I'll take my hat off to you sir, you didn't cook your ham roll til you lit the fire.. more than I've done. I've had food, and a lighter... job done... I'm sure sometime I'll torture myself with the bushcraft way, but until then, I'll live with the guilt.. :D

More Britney Spears than Ray Mears?
Well if your outside in the wilderness for an overnighter, I think britney may be more fun... I mean Ray could entertain you with tales from around the world, whereas Britney could just entertain you.. :)

Good photos and blogg mate, looking forward to the next instalment..

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
A good story told there Biker, Sounds like a great time. I know what you mean about feeling as though you need another person there, funnily I only feel like that if i'm a couple of hours from home, If I'm a long way away I don't feel it at all. weired.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
sounds like u had a brilliant time biker and you obviously learnt alot and yes side sleeping is possible in a hammock but my advice is to now buy a propper one from some one like DDhammocks.com and then try agin cos it will make it a hole lot easier and more comfortable. now in regards to having two much gear well we are all culprits of that my son

and well done so far

drew

Biker

Phew thanks for the warm welcome to the ranks of the overnighters. I was bracing myself for YOU WOOS! comments.

All in all I enjoyed myself but have enjoyed it more had I been with someone, just to natter with. As for the hammock strings. I'm waiting on a hammock to arrive from the Gift-it-on thread so maybe the stinig one won't be needing such an urgent looking at but I will give it a gander tomorrow. I would like to have a go at making a paracord one with wooden poles at either end to hold it flat. maybe one day. John Wiseman's SAS survival book has a tutorial for it.

As for Britney, not knowing where that skank's been I think I'd prefer listening to Ray tell me how to remove leeches with a kipper.

Next installment? Uhhh let me get over this one first LOL!

Biker

Cracking - Great diary. Laughed lots..........hc

Laughed? That's cruel. :nono: I was terrified the entire time. I suppose one day I will look back on it and laugh, like the time I came off my bike and broke three ribs... though it did take a while before I could muster a decent giggle without wincing in pain.

So now I've joined the ranks and can hold my head proud alongside Scott of the Antarctic, Sir Edmund Hillary, Douglas Bader, Bear Gryils and some geezer named Mears.

Strikes a dramatic pose with chin thrust foreward.

Yes. I have delusions of mediocre :lmao:

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Loved the whole story Biker. Laughed and smiled due to the writing, not the situations you were in. It's a very entertaining read...your artistry coming out in a different form!

Presumably this was in Normandy? Whereabouts... Are you inland or closer to the coast? Not important but France plays a big part in our (my family) lives too.

I know what you mean about the company though...that's why my 8 year old son gets dragged all over the place with me...mind you, he can make bacon sarnies and tea...so he has his other uses too:D

Great post hope to hear more of your exploits

A vôtre santé

Sack

A great story from your wild camp! I too am more often passed out drunk in a tent after a Biker Rally than out camping wild. The first time I went camping with my family in a proper camp site I stayed awake all night and actually started to have a mini panic attack with the tiredness and worry that something was wrong. About 7am it dawned on me that I was sober and had never gone to bed in a tent before with less than XX pints of beer inside me! Once I realised, I snoozed off ok only to be woken 30 minutes later by the kids! For my odd wild camp trips I have discovered that the birds are the worst for disturbing my sleep so i pop in a pair of ear plugs and pull my buff down over my eyes to make things a bit darker! This year I have bought a tarp and a bivi and am going to ditch the tent for my solo trips so I will also put a midge net over the top to protect me from the pesky biters that love to drink my blood!

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I laughed too!

But only because I could relate to the whole lot. Brilliant read :)

I struggled with a string hammock on one of the first moots, then Tony let me 'test' use a 'proper' one to get me out of trouble there is no comparison!!

I only use the string hammock to keep my kit off the ground nowdays.

Cheers,

Paul

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I like it buddy,i have a great mountain bike with panniers which i love and have never packed it with all my gear for a night ,another thing i need to try.

Biker

Great stuff!
You write as well as you draw - and that is saying something!
I like the Hobo set up :)

Thanks for the positive responses, especially about my writing style. I do tend to be a bit gobby. Why say 3 words when 14 will do. I sent the link to this thread to my Mum, step-dad, brother and best mate in the UK. Got a phone call this afternoon saying my step-dad had a coughed up a lung laughing so much. I took that as high praise indeed.

Allenko. Now using a string hammock for stowing your kit sounds like a great idea. Thanks for that. Above or below your own sleeping hammock?

Large Sack. Yup, Normandy way incountry about 40 miles directly south of the D-day beaches. Little blink and you'll miss it village named Pontécoulant. If you look on the google maps you'll see I was on the road from the village to the Chateau on the bend in the river before the lake.

Armoured piercing mozzy's yeah sneaky or what. probably spent all night strop that pig stciker of his knowing fresh meat was on the slab.

Gill Went to a bootfair today and picked up a set of gorgeous almost brand new panniers and built in "topbox" set up in waterproof canvas for £2.50 with a 1 ltr aluminium water bottle thrown in free to sweeten the deal. So the gas mask cases will be retired to another job. Also picked up a Quicksilver rucksack for £1.50 almost new conditiion too. I fell on my feet at this bootfair. No drawknifes though. But bought some DDR 256mbs RAM chips for my PC for a fiver. Well pleased with the haul today.

Next installment in the Wilderness? Gawd knows when it'll be, but you'll know about it when it happens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE