2000AD comics (Early 80's stuff)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As a kid when I used to get in from school or at sometime over a weekend and flipped the TV on and if I saw this image below I would actually GROAN! It meant that box in the corner was off duty from entertaining me. Funny how an image can bring back such a nostalgic glow.

Never did get into Look in and preferred Blue Peter to Magpie.

bbc_test_card_f.jpg

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
Just googled another fave of mine, "button man" and found out Leonardo Di Caprio is going to play him in a new film...... best not f**k it up !

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just googled another fave of mine, "button man" and found out Leonardo Di Caprio is going to play him in a new film...... best not f**k it up !

His role in 'Blood Diamond' suggests he may be able to pull it off but I reckon Leo needs another good 10+ years to get a good 'Mans Face' , he still sometimes looks like a teenager to me.

< Sorry Leo>

Edcraft

Forager
Apr 17, 2012
Liverpool
His role in 'Blood Diamond' suggests he may be able to pull it off but I reckon Leo needs another good 10+ years to get a good 'Mans Face' , he still sometimes looks like a teenager to me.

< Sorry Leo>

The departed is one brilliant film. I think he might pull it off yaknow :)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
There is a promising new Dredd film coming out soon (called Dredd), hopefully it will overshadow the damage stallone did to Ol' Stony Face.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The departed is one brilliant film. I think he might pull it off yaknow :)

Don't get me wrong I think he is currently and will be a really great actor ( watch him in 'Whats eating Gilbert Grape' for some young quality acting ) I just feel that he needs a few years to get a better face. In the same way I think Connery looks better now ( Hunt for Red October , Entrapment , The Rock ) than he did as a young 007.

I think the same will be true of Daniel Radcliffe , who was good in 'The lady in Black' but needs a few more years I think before he gets a role that will become him. ( at least he won't become a 'Mark Hamill' of the film world. )

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I've just got to say seeing those 2000ADs bought back some great memories of my childhood - anyone remember the free 'bionic' stickers you got with issue 3?

God I used to love Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dog - Carlos Esquerra was by far the best artist they ever had....

And what do my kids read? Moshi Monsters and Club Penguin - it's just not the same I tell you!

Nige

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Carlos Esquerra was by far the best artist they ever had....

I agree Carlos was brilliant with SD and Dredd, but what about Mike McMahon and Glenn Fabry's Slaine? Or Kevin O'Neills Nemesis?

What about Alan Davis' DR and Quinch?

More great artists than I can remember - Brian Bolland, Massimo Bellardinelli, Dave (Watchmen) Gibbons.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
mmm 2000AD has some great memories. Was it "Ace-Trading Co"? Quite liked that one. Future Shocks were entertaining quite often too. I remember loving SD, but can't actually recall it at all.. :( However "Sláine" sticks in my mind very well... :)

edit: Ace Trucking Co, it seems.

Last edited:

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Ace-trading Co it was - I loved that one too. Ace Garp, GBH and Speedo Gost, the ship.

Future Shocks was great for up and coming writers - Alan Moore etc

SD was truely excellent and would make a great film, as would Slaine.

Remember Halo Jones?

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Brilliant!

Armoured Gideon
Bad Company
Durham Red
Flesh
Harlem Heroes
Ro Busters
Robo Hunter
Stainless Steel Rat
The V.C's
Zenith

Great memories. The one thing I always hated about 2000ad was Tharg.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is weird, y'know I only collected those particualr 2000AD series because it had The Stainless Steel rat story in it as well as a couple of other memorable ones. The Nemesis was good in the alternate Victorian era, I really liked that story. The graphic novels (as I was corrected by Teedee) that I really enjoyed around that time were those thick volumes of Savage Sword of Conan by Marvel, they were SOOO well drawn too. The artwork on 2000AD and others back then was just beautiful when compared to some of the s#it they churn out today. To me this more recent stuff resembles graffitti. I find it jangles rather than lets the story flow. Maybe I'm just old. :confused:

Judge Death was my fav Judge Dredd story, finally bought that in hardback cover graphic novel in the end.

jdredddeathcomic.jpg

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This is weird, y'know I only collected those particualr 2000AD series because it had The Stainless Steel rat story in it as well as a couple of other memorable ones. The Nemesis was good in the alternate Victorian era, I really liked that story. The graphic novels (as I was corrected by Teedee) that I really enjoyed around that time were those thick volumes of Savage Sword of Conan by Marvel, they were SOOO well drawn too. The artwork on 2000AD and others back then was just beautiful when compared to some of the s#it they churn out today. To me this more recent stuff resembles graffitti. I find it jangles rather than lets the story flow. Maybe I'm just old. :confused:

I was listening to Radio 2 whilst shooting some arrows down at the club last night, it was Jo Wiley. Not usually my cup of tea but the music was good, I flicked over to Radio 1 - some muppet was blathering on about "embarassing moments". I thought to myself - when did Radio 1 become cooler than Radio 2. Then I thought. "I've just grown old" - but then I corrected myself. We haven't grown old - we've just grown up.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was listening to Radio 2 whilst shooting some arrows down at the club last night, it was Jo Wiley. Not usually my cup of tea but the music was good, I flicked over to Radio 1 - some muppet was blathering on about "embarassing moments". I thought to myself - when did Radio 1 become cooler than Radio 2. Then I thought. "I've just grown old" - but then I corrected myself. We haven't grown old - we've just grown up.

I mean Radio 2 cooler than Radio 1 - why can't I edit my thread anymore?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE