100% Success

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have just returned from the New Forest with my daughter after attending there annual beaver/cub/scout/explorer trip.

Over the past two months I have been teaching the explorers fire by friction, so they coudn't wait to try out there new found skills.

Whilst they were practicing they attracted quite a crowd, from the beaver and cub parents to the camp cook. So the next day the explorers gave a demo to all the parents.

After the demo nine of the parents came forward and wanted to try for themselves, and yes, we managed after three and a half hours to get all nine parents friction fire lighting! It was hard work but very well worth it. The explorers were so proud of themselves and I was really proud of them. They took the mystery and myth out of the subject and proved that it is not something only the chosen few can do.

It was a great weekend, but that was the icing on the cake! Well done all you explorers

Nick

Ps: We were using designated fire areas!!!

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Leon

We were all using an ivy hearth, Hazel drill and greenwood for the bow and bearing block. We lubricated the bearing block with a couple of holly leaves just to make the drilling easier.

Forgot to say three of the parents were mums.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE