£4.99 Frost Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Dealers and Traders are not allowed to sell on bcuk, as a one off they can mention what they sell in case people are interested, that’s it.

As for members of the forum seeing something that’s a good deal and mentioning it, that’s a bit different, it’s generally allowed as long as it’s not over the top. Those that post on here to promote a company that they are in some way connected to (even if very tenuous) will be looked upon as breaking the dealer/trader rule. There have been a few people banned for this already, the rules are enforced but we do keep in mind that some people get excited and others are genuinely trying to share some good news with others, which is what the community is about.

It’s a shame that some do take advantage of the forums, but they will be dealt with.

I hope that explains the situation with the rules.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Andy said:
it would seem to me that post 8 is breaking that rule.

The poster didn't mean to break any rules and a quiet word is all that's needed. I always think it's better coming from someone else anyway

The post is deleted, the poster does know the rules as he's been on bcuk for a long time.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Tony et al,

Am new(ish) to this forum, have read the rules and understand why you removed the link for the deal I got as it was from the trader. So, as I got the deal and think its brill and have absolutely no affiliation to the company can I please put the following?;

They are doing a really good offer on a Mora training knife and Swedish Scout Fire steel including p&p for less than £11.01, which in my web trawling is what you'd expect to just get the steel posted to you from some companies.

Ta

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I ordered three knife/firesteel sets and two folding saws from Bushwear at the end of last week, and the parcel has arrived, as promised, today. Excellent service and products at a very reasonable price.
I can fully appreciate the reasoning behind the rules, but I have no complaints, just honest praise.

Cheers,
Toddy

Tony said:
Dealers and Traders are not allowed to sell on bcuk, as a one off they can mention what they sell in case people are interested, that’s it.

As for members of the forum seeing something that’s a good deal and mentioning it, that’s a bit different, it’s generally allowed as long as it’s not over the top. Those that post on here to promote a company that they are in some way connected to (even if very tenuous) will be looked upon as breaking the dealer/trader rule. There have been a few people banned for this already, the rules are enforced but we do keep in mind that some people get excited and others are genuinely trying to share some good news with others, which is what the community is about.

It’s a shame that some do take advantage of the forums, but they will be dealt with.

I hope that explains the situation with the rules.
I totally agree with dealers having to announce their interest, what about a dealers section in the classifieds? otherwise there could be some good deals missed out on

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
raskusdrotti said:
How is the saw?

I saw :D it in their catalogue and was wondering how good it was?

First impressions:
Heavy toothed, bright yellow handle, light weight, (160g/ 5 3/4oz) locks firmly in place, cut through a 9cm branch of green Cherry in about a dozen strokes, says it's meant for pruning.
For less than £7 delivered, it's *Good* :) Only time & more use will tell how long it lasts I suppose. I'm pleased :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Is this still on offer? I went to the Bushwear site, went to order a knife worth £3.99, and the postage to Ireland on top of that was £10?? Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kiamyr said:
Is this still on offer? I went to the Bushwear site, went to order a knife worth £3.99, and the postage to Ireland on top of that was £10?? Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you give them a ring and ask? The salesman I spoke with couldn't have been more helpful. Remember to quote Bushcraft uk as the place you saw the link though, he discounted postage & packing fees to the bare minimum for us.

Cheers,
Toddy

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Can you give us a head up regarding the site address (linkey not workey on page one), whether they still sell them and the protocole of P&P towards Bushcraft members? Would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Reinhardt

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Kiamyr said:
Would you recommend the 3.99 knife as a good first knife to have in starting up and learning a few basics?
not normaly as on the whole they tend to be crap, in this case YES YES YES

Though I do still find it goes blunt a lot quicker then my other knives

Would you recommend the 3.99 knife as a good first knife to have in starting up and learning a few basics?

I would say no. A slightly more expensive Mora knife will have a blade of either simple carbon steel or excellent Sandvik 1227 stainless. Edge holding and ease of resharpening should be far greater than with 420 steel.
I still use Moras in preference to far more expensive knives - so they don't have to be just knives to start up with.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Kiamyr said:

I have one of these (it was a freebee) as well as the Frost knife. Of the two, I think the Frost one is better quality and arrived impressively sharp. I find the handle on the bushknife slightly more comfortable but there is little in it. The bushknife has a secondary bevel which might be more difficult for a beginner to sharpen than the Frost one but it is still sharp.

Depends really on what you want to learn. If you want to learn all about knives, knife-care and sharpening them then the Frost is probably a safe bet. If you just need a knife to get started on other skills then either would do for the moment. Personally, I prefer the Frost knife although it does look a little too "military" for my liking.

My (brief) experience of the company has been positive and even at the new price, they are one of the cheaper sources for the Frost knife.

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Thanks for all the replies,

Decided to go for the Frost one after all. I gave them a ring yesterday and the shipping was only £1.50 which was great.

Does anyone know of any simple start up 'projects' I could attempt? I don't want to start a new thread on it if there's some info out there already.

Thanks

leon-1

You'll get a lot of people saying spoons now:D

Spoons are good as they teach you the different types of cut as you carve one and you use most of the different cuts in carving a spoon.

Other qick and easy ones are things like pot hangers.:)

And carving a Bow drill set.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE