“Panic Stricken” Fire Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How do you make your fires?

Precisely, with little bundles of kindling lined up like Victorian children smallest to largest?

Large-ish tinder bundle ala Kochanski?

Nice multi curl feather sticks?

Neat tepee, box or other fire lay?

When we had our little 24 foot sailing cruiser we treated every hat which was blown overboard as a Man Overboard situation for training purposes so we would be ready for the real thing if it ever happened.

I used to gather tinder as I walked in the forest so I was almost ready to go once we stopped. It is still a good practice but I increasingly go for making do with what is at hand.

So recently, I stopped at a waterfall with a friend. I made the coffee. Putting aside the gas stove, I made do with the damp wood around the stream avoiding the dry kindling and tinder further up slope. It was difficult but I succeeded in the end.

P9170216.jpg

Yesterday, instead of returning to the car during a walk to avoid a thunderstorm, I put up the poncho as a tarp and practiced lighting a fire beneath it as the rain bucketed down. That was humbling but I got a cup of hot tea in the end.

Today, a Kiwi friend called at short notice to say he was coming around with a few beers. I volunteered to do the Barbie (BBQ). So I “panicked” using fallen wood, hard dry wood that resisted neat feathering etc. rushing to get a bed of coals before he arrived.

P9290243.jpg

The intention is that if T-S-H-T-F on some bush trip then I am practiced and ready to make do with what I have rather than lament that I cannot do a text book fire starting.

All I am interested in when T-S-H-T-F is a fit-for-purpose fire not demonstration grade fire making.

Use what is at hand to “panic” - mosquitoes, mate arriving, daylight fading, whatever. It’s like an IA drill.

I think I learn more each time this way than I do by trying to do it ‘right’.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im the same, when i had a mini meet in some woods i had never been in it had looked a good spot on the map, it turned out to be soaked to the boan. the problem i had was fuel as it was just so wet it had to dry out before it could burn, that was even after spliting it down. i took tinder from the site in the form of birch dark from a dead fall.

all in all it went ok and in time i would have been able to dry some wood or cut down a dead tree if that was allowed.

i have often done the same when its tipping down and get the same results but at least i know i can pull it of and get a bit dry and warmer than i would be with nout...lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE