I'm going to look at a wood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Like most of us, I love the idea of having my own little bit of woody heaven.

Today after work I am going to look at just such a thing, and I need to do some serious thinking.

It is a tiny plot in a mature broadleaf woodland and it is affordable (just). I am a cautious chap by nature and if I did go for it then all my liquid savings would be turned into trees. Right now I am conflicted as to how badly I want a bit of wood, so I have to go and walk it, have a ponder and see how I feel.

I'll let y'all know what I decide!

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
If it's the money side of things where the conflict lies, have a think about how the wood could be productive for you.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I don't regret buying mine even though there's been a few problems. If money is tight don't forget solicitors fees, insurance costs and maintenance costs (e.g. if it has mature ash trees how will you cope in felling them if ash dieback strikes?).

Having said that the positives far outweigh the negatives, good luck.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Money is one of the considerations I'll admit and I don't know how much the legal costs would be; any ballpark figures from those that have done it?

I didn't know about insurance, is that public liability?

I don't think there is any ash in there, it seems to be a mix of various species but not that. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When I looked in to it a few years ago conveyancing fees were comparable to house conveyancing fees

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I bought mine six years ago after a lot of umming and ahhing. Legal costs are not high IIRC and the buying process is reasonably straightforward.
If you are putting all your savings into the project I can understand you being cautious. How big is it? What plans, if any, do you have for it? Small woods are difficult to earn money from so it might well be a pleasure only thing.
I remember going to see mine for the first time and I instantly knew it was the place for me. I haven't regretted it for an instant, in fact it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Oh yes, another thing, woodland value appreciates slowly and steadily so if you find ownership is not for you or you need to release funds then you could sell it and it is unlikely you will lose money.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, the buying costs weren't huge, a bit lower than buying a house but it'll depend on the wood and what searches etc you get done. IIRC it was about £700. Although the wood was a private sale I chose my solicitor from this list here: http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/solicitors/

Insurance was originally from these people: http://www.r-a-p.co.uk/ but we've now got it cheaper as part of our house insurance, about £60 IIRC. Yes, public liability, cover if a tree falls on a neighbour etc.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
How much roughly does woodland go for nowadays?

How long is a piece of string? It varies hugely depending on a number of factors such as size and who's selling it. As a very rough guide, small lots sold by companies that buy up larger woods and split can charge around £10k an acre, large lots seem to go for around £3k-£6k an acre and I think you can still find pieces for sale privately for £3k an acre or under if you look around.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I bought mine six years ago after a lot of umming and ahhing. Legal costs are not high IIRC and the buying process is reasonably straightforward.
If you are putting all your savings into the project I can understand you being cautious. How big is it? What plans, if any, do you have for it? Small woods are difficult to earn money from so it might well be a pleasure only thing.
I remember going to see mine for the first time and I instantly knew it was the place for me. I haven't regretted it for an instant, in fact it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Oh yes, another thing, woodland value appreciates slowly and steadily so if you find ownership is not for you or you need to release funds then you could sell it and it is unlikely you will lose money.

The total size is just under 2 acres. Once I've walked the boundary later I'll have a better feel for what that means on the ground as it isn't a square plot.

It would definitely be for pleasure, not to try and earn off it. I have been watching amenity woodland prices for a while now and you're right about the value. As the saying goes "Buy land, they aren't making any more!"

Thanks for the feedback folks.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
How long is a piece of string? It varies hugely depending on a number of factors such as size and who's selling it. As a very rough guide, small lots sold by companies that buy up larger woods and split can charge around £10k an acre, large lots seem to go for around £3k-£6k an acre and I think you can still find pieces for sale privately for £3k an acre or under if you look around.

That sounds about right to me. One thing I would add is it also depends on where the wood is located. Generally, as with houses, prices rise the closer you are to London and southern England.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one buid.. I am just waiting for a cash influx that should be happing in the next 6 months... and thats what I will be looking at doing... if your not interrested let me know I may well be :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good luck with it and now calm down, get the calculator out and work out not only costs but what you are allowed to legally do on 'your' land and each year (this is vital)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Put it this way they are not making anymore land, we are just in the process of getting 6 and a bit acres of wood,stream and river with a commercial water turbine thrown in for 3 grand per acre, it is pretty bogey in places but there is a nice little patch to build a round house, trust your inner voice if that say's buy go for it, thats what we have done and its worked out better than expected, as the farmer will sell it to us when we get a little money he knocks that off until its paid good deal I think.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well I went to have a look at it on the way home from work yesterday.

Drum roll.....................................................

I'm not going to buy it.

It was certainly a nice little patch of wood with some cracking old chestnut coppice and some oak and hornbeam too but the main reason I'm not going any further is that it is just too small.

It is surrounded by other privately owned woods and the boundaries are marked by stakes to allow the animals free passage, so I was able to walk the circumference and see exactly what 1.75 acres looked like on the ground. Even sitting right in the middle of the plot I could clearly see the access track and the path on the other side, so by extension I could also be seen. In a nutshell it would be like your back garden without the fence so no seclusion or woody isolation would be possible.

At the moment, it is clear that my budget doesn't allow me to buy a big enough plot. I would say (as others seem to agree) that at least 6 acres is needed to be able to lose yourself.

One day...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE