hammock or tarp + bivvi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 15, 2010
West Yorkshire
is there any situation where the tarp would be a better shelter than a hammock with its rainfly roof?
am thinking of ditching my tarp / bivvi combo for something off the ground but how easy is to use these hammock in an area with no trees - will they work tied around rocks etc

any feeback from your experience withthese would be great before i bite the bullet :)

i know hammocks are probably a little heavier / bulky but can live with that as long as dont have to worry about not being able to use it :cool:

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Tarp and hammock.

The best of both worlds.

You can use them on the ground by putting a mat between the hammock and ground to avoid damaging the hammock fabric. Ive done many nights with this kind of setup. It is why I use the dd travel-its waterproof and makes a great bathtub groundsheet, but any hammock is suitable really.

Hanging off rocks is quite possible, but IME, I've usually struggled to find suitable rocks. I was lying in my hammock, tied to two rocks, when the webbing cut through and I hit the floor. I could have avoided this by protecting the webbing with grass/wood etc.
Other options are to take some climbing nuts or wedges/cams, or lash together 2 a-frames at either end to support the hammock. Its also possible to make some wooden wedges that will jam into larger cracks and do the job of climbing nuts, but I have not tried this yet.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
is there any situation where the tarp would be a better shelter than a hammock with its rainfly roof?

When there are no trees would be the simple answer. However, I have seen hammocks setup up slung between cars, gate posts, using climbing gear in rocks and even using a pair of walking poles guyed out. As long as it will take your weight you can use just about anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE