Thumbs up? no, not really

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If ever there was a salutary tale, on the subject of not using edged tools when you're tired and particularly, using the correct tool for the job, well..........how about this;

I came off nightshift this morning, went to bed and as I went, asked my wife to get me up at 12 noon, as I had a couple of jobs I wanted to get finished in the garden, before retiring to the "lab" to continue with some leather work I've got on the go.

I took my time when I was called from slumber, had a cuppa,a quick wash and set to with the garden stuff. I was still groggy but the sunshine and fresh air seemed to be doing me the world of good.

I decided I needed a couple of short pegs making and rather than pop into the garage to collect my knife, I picked up one of my old hatchets, which was handy and set about the making of said pegs.

I've absolutely no idea how I did what I did next but something slipped and the result was this:
P2120011copyresizedthumboff.jpg

I felt the blade hit the bone in my thumb and knew instinctively, that it was a nasty "bite" this time:aargh4:

I went back into the kitchen, totally ignoring my first aid kit, which was right next to me!:togo:

I grabbed a load of kitchen towel paper and quickly wrapped the finger and thumb and applied a lot of pressure.

Then I danced around a bit, swearing and cursing my stupidity, and stupidity it most certainly was. Then the shock hit me, very much harder than I recall ever before.

I began to sweat heavily and felt extremely ill:( I started to feel very dizzy too and remembered the sensation years ago, when I broke an ankle on exercise:stretcher:

I'm fairly certain I passed out, at one point, sitting in the living room,fighting off the dizziness and nausea. My wife and son were both with me and didn't notice any obvious faint but i definitely lost a minute or so somewhere.

Anyway, I eventually took a good look at it and confirmed what I already knew; I needed to seek medical attention, so there being no other drivers in the household yet, we phoned my brother across in Hexham to see if he could help out.

He arrived in surprisingly short order and we went first to the new, local walk in centre ( really, a waste of time, should have gone with instinct and went straight to a&e but never mind:eek:)
Where after only a short wait,was immediately told to go straight on, to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.

Again, I was seen and dealt with very rapidly and within an hour and a half, had been triaged, x-rayed and seen by a plastic surgeon, who has booked me in for urgent surgery, tomorrow morning.

I've severed the tip of the thumb bone, though I haven't actually lost anything yet. The cut through the thumb nail goes through a good 8mm, with a about 3mm left keeping the tip on the bottom.

There wasn't a huge amount of blood but the pain was and still is, intense.
P2120012.jpg

They are going to open up both wounds, scrub them out, remove the thumb nail, possibly remove the bit of bone that's floating about now and then stitch everything back together again.

An 8am appointment with no finish time specified;)

Why did I do what I did? dunno:confused:
Why wasn't I practising what I preach, ref kevlar gloves and using the right tool for the job? one word: STUPID

So that's me out of order for a week or two.

Please try to remember; take care with your edged tools, even if you have been using them for years and years and years.

It can happen to any of us :surrender:

best wishes and stay safe lads and lasses:eek:

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

Hah! I'm blasted on codeine phosphate and I've been using my right hand and left middle finger only! amazing what you can do though, if you set your mind to it:)

To cap it all I'm a left hander! so what the hxll i was doing with the axe in my right hand, I just can't figure out:confused:

atb

Steve

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ach i did that whilst splitting logs last year.... was sooooo silly! axe was way to big for the job in hand.... tsk... school boy error!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Arghhh... damn you were lucky Steve.

I'm surprised you took the time to pose for pics as well. Hope things go well tomorrow for you.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Hope you go alright tommorow. A & E first stop EVERYTIME - i have some experience of knife wounds and the walk-ins are a waste of space.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i do have to say that out of the whole story, the walk in part amazes more than anything else.... you were in pain so ill let YOU off... but the person who drove you there... tut tut.... A&E for any major bleeds!!!

rancid badger

Thanks for all the kind words:)

To be fair, there wasn't much blood, though I knew it was broken.:eek:
If nothing else, I got a sneak preview of the brand new leisure centre, which is all part of the walk in unit and it was me that insisted we try there first.

I have to say; it got me thinking of "what ifs" and I will definitely be going through "QRP's" in future, even if only in my mind.

It's amazing how a moment or two's loss of concentration, can buxxer you up, not to mention those around you:sadwavey:

I'll be missing the protest rally down at Chopwell Wood, unless of course I'm lucky and get sorted nice and early tomorrow morning. In some way's, this hurts even more than the stupidity of injuring myself like this in the first place.:dunno:
The pain though, is frankly; blxxdy amazing:rolleyes:

Thanks again and I'll keep you informed of progress.

best wishes

Steve

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
Well for all it's worth you've helped me out with career choicing.

Ambulance driver is now crossed off the list.

I expect my let thumb and forefinger to re-emerge from my armpit some time tmorow mornin.

good luck for tomorrow.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Nasty accident Steve, i know exactly what your going through been there more times than i should ! i hope it goes well and its not out of action too long .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE