Good recipes for Squirrels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:D

I think I'll give the scrambled eggs and brains a miss. I've just have a quick google and see that the tiny number of folk diagnosed had the common link of munching the brains in one form or another.

Bring on the roast squizzle I say! :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
:D

I think I'll give the scrambled eggs and brains a miss. I've just have a quick google and see that the tiny number of folk diagnosed had the common link of munching the brains in one form or another.

Bring on the roast squizzle I say! :D

Yes. Its a shame. I really fancied dropping those chilled brains I have in the fridge into a blender, giving them a zip, mixing with a bit of rabbit blood (a bit like a marguerita) and having me a power smoothie for brekkie!!!!!

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The "Field Dressing And Butchering Rabbits, Squirrels And Other Small Game"
By Monte Burch, includes some nice squirrel recipes.
Cashew Squirrel sounds particularly good;
1st. step,
Debone two squirrels(or one rabbit) and chop the meat into bite-sized pieces.
Marinate overnight in soy sauce. Roll the pieces in flour and deep fry.
Set the meat aside and keep warm.
2nd.step,
(ingredients needed)
2 cups chicken stock
2-3 tbls. oyster sauce
1 tbls. cornstarch
1/4 to 1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
1/2 cup sliced green onions.
Heat the chicken stock and stir in oyster sauce. Thicken with cornstarch dissolved in a little water first. Stir in some of the cashews.
To serve, place the squirrel pieces over a bed of warm rice, spoon sauce over the meat and garnish each serving with more cashews and the onion slices.
If any body wants any more recipes,(such as opossum, raccoon and beaver!!), just ask.
Happy trails...torc.

Apr 29, 2007
Pennsylvania,USA
2 squirrels( about 1 pound each)dressed and quartered
2/3 cup flour for dredging,plus roughly 1/4 cup for gravy
5 slices bacon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter ,melted
If you have no buttermilk,use regular milk and add I tablespoon vinegar

1.Parboil the squirrel pieces:place them in a large pot and add enough salted water to cover.Bring to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender but still intact - 1 to 2 hours.remove them from the water and set aside to cool.

2.In a large cast-iron skillet or dutch oven,fry the bacon slices over medium heat until they are crispy and all the fat has been rendered.Reserve the bacon for another use.In a wide shallow bowl or pan,season 2/3 cup of flour( or more as needed )with salt and pepper.Dredge the squirrel pieces in it ,shaking off any excess,and place them in hot bacon grease.Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the squirrel until lightly browned on all sides,about 10 minutes per side.You may have to do this in batches;add butter to the pan if the grease seems insufficient.

3.In the meantime,make the biscuits:preheat the oven to 400°.Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.Divide the shortening into several pieces and cut it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.Make a hole in the center and pour in the buttermilk.Using your hands,fold the dry mixture into the buttermilk until you have a sticky dough.Turn the dough onto a floured surface and fold it over on itself to form layers.Flatten it with your hands until it's about 3/4 inch thick.Using a biscuit cutter or an upside -down glass,cut rounds out of the dough.Transfer the rounds to a sheet pan and brush with melted butter.Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.

4.When squirrel pieces are done,remove them to a plate or keep them warm in a low oven.Pour off excess grease ,keeping about 1/4 cup in the pan.Increase the heat to medium-high and add 1/4 cup flour,stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits until the mixture turns an oaky shade of brown.Add 3/4 cup of cold water and stir until a thick gravy forms;if it's too thick,add more water.Salt and pepper to taste.Serve the squirrel and biscuits with the gravy on the side.

Aug 13, 2010
Florida, USA
Watched the canyon episode of 'Survivorman' today, favourite line ........​
o
o
o

"Oops, mi squirrels burning!"​
o
o
o
o

I freaking made an account just so I could second this! I LOVE that episode just for that line.. So freaking hilarious, that I swear I laugh every time I hear it! XD Plus, I love quoting it for more giggles, lol! ^_^;;

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I picked this up on an "internet raid" but I use it and like it. Most of the fellows at camp enjoy it to.
~ 3 squirrels, quartered
~ Creole seasoning.(if you can't find ,use a mix of red pepper,black pepper, seasoned salt and a dash of liquid smoke)
~ 2 strips bacon, cut up
~ 1/2 stick butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
~ 2 bell peppers, chopped
~ 2 stalks celery, chopped
~ 3 potatoes, cubed
~ 5 cups water
~ 1/4 cup burgundy wine

Rub the creole seasoning liberally over the squirrels.

In a dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the bacon.

Add the squirrel to the dutch oven and brown evenly. Remove.

To the dutch oven, add the onion, garlic, peppers and celery. Saute until the veggies are soft.

Add the meat back to the pot along with the water and potatoes. Stir together.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.

Remove the squirrel pieces. Cool and debone.

Return meat to the pot. Stir in the wine. Heat to boiling again then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve over biscuits or toast.

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
Easiest one ive tried is marinade in that reggae reggae sauce an then stick it on a skewer an on to the bbq, not the most sophisticated of recipes buts its pretty damn good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE