A days Crayfishing (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Me and a couple of friends today went Crayfishing today on the river Windrush. It was a bumper haul, we used about 12 different traps and must have easily had a couple of hundred by the end of the day. Here is my trap:

image015y.jpg

I use a sweet tin punched full of holes to hold the bait (rotten kippers!).

I took about 20 home to cook and cooked them on my Hobo stove in the garden:
image005yt.jpg

It took about half an hour or so to boil the water!

My share of the haul:
image016fc.jpg

One of the bigger ones:
image017c.jpg

They were delicious!
cheers

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Look at those puppies. Not had any food yet and I doubt my slow cooked pork chops will be anywhere near as good as those.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
wicked, i caught some and cooked and ate them, but i was slightly ill lol - i have no idea why though i have eaten them before but they tasted so good with a touch of butter and a few glasses of wine. oh wait maybe thats why i puked lol, still they tasted excellent going in!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The one in the last pic could be a lobster, he is huge. Bet he tasted damned fine. Now go clear up the rest of the river and get well fat in the process :lmao:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
He was not the biggest we caught, my mate bagseyed a right old bruiser! The claws were easily a centimetre or two longer than this bad boy I've heard reports of some crackers coming out of the Thames and local stillwaters. I have not got round to cooking any on an open fire yet this year, they seem to taste nicer cooking them like that for some reason.

Ruvio

Nomad
I love getting em out of the river in our garden. Phoned up about a license for it, and the fella essentially told me that, while its illegal to fish for them without a license, its even more illegal not to kill them once theyre out of the water...so go for it.

I ended up getting one in the long run, but i set up a trap a week and get about 30 out. It's made a nice change this summer from sunday dinners. They don't quite do at this time of year for me.

Never had one anywhere near as big as that bad boy though, he's a giant!

They taste better if you cut the spinal chord, break the middle section of the tail and remove the gut channel, give them a good clean, chop a couple of small shallots fine add a couple of garlic cloves and a slug of dry white wine and cook as you would normally...remove from the liqueur and reduce it to half its volume, add a knob of butter to form a silky looking sauce and then put the Crayfish back in the pan and coat by turning....I like to dip them in garlic mayo and dry up the sauce with nuggets of crispy bread......yum yum.

I have also found that purging them in a dustbin with slow running water for a couple of days helps to reduce the earthy taste of the flesh....I know this is not possible when you are out foraging and want a quick meal.

Ronnie sunshines sells the folding traps for £4.99 each...I have just ordered two of these for some planned summer fun.

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
axemangler that sounds immense - will have to give that a try some time. Has anyone triied catching Signal's in the Winter? My mate reckons you can catch them all year round but a bit dibious myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE