The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
This isn't my image, a Failbook contact posted it so I thought I'd see what the Illuminati of BCUK would come up with as there's no consensus elsewhere yet - it's the only image I have and there's no spore print I'm afraid:

shroom2_zpsfeug0lnv.jpg

A picture of the gills is needed at the very least for anyone to make a remotely confident ID. It looks like some kind of Bolete (assuming it was growing near trees) from the stem and the flesh that is visible through the eaten parts of the cap. But it could be just an illusion and i could be completely wrong.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Those look like Larch boletes to me Paul.

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree too having had another look through my books.

My favourite foraging area for the last 20 years has recently been signposted as an SSSI and no mushrooming signs sprouted everywhere, so I'm now having to look elsewhere and not found anywhere remotely as good for ceps and other nice edibles :(

I was always careful to pick selectively and sustainably, as proven by the same areas being productive year after year over a long time, but probably for the greater good I suppose !

Cheers, Paul

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
These first three I think are the same as the larger one we found and I got two pics of, (pics 1,2&3)

DSC01518.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

DSC01520.JPG

They are all in the same mixed tree forest area.

The next two pics are of what I think are of the boletus family and when bruised go through a rapid change of green shades getting darker quite quickly.

DSC01521.JPG

DSC01522.JPG

I think this one is boletus edulis,

DSC01523.JPG

DSC01524.JPG

as that is what came to my mind as soon as I saw it.

The next three pics got me stumped due to the bright yellow pores,

DSC01503.JPG

DSC01504.JPG

DSC01505.JPG

Next up is one I found today at work growing out of the bare earth in the farmhouse floor, we have been sawing up some old boards of chestnut for lathes in this area.

DSC01536.JPG

DSC01538.JPG

the stem is quite stiff almost woody and the cap is about 45mm across.
Any info would be gratefully received, really getting interested in this mycology side of things.:)

Rob.

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
First one is Amanita rubescens. The yellow pored bolete is probably a Xerocomus/Xerocomellus species. What size are these? I'm guessing up to 5cm across. Last one might be a Pluteus species. What colour are the pores of the staining bolete? This is an important piece of information.

Last edited:

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I'm pretty sure that these are Clitopilus prunulus, The Miller, but would welcome a second opinion. There were found in mixed woodland and had a distinctly mealy smell, kinda like St George's Mushrooms.

nRC2jiSl.jpg
J86pIHDl.jpg
hLBsv95l.jpg

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
I'm pretty sure no one will tell you that they are by looking at pics. It would be too risky given what it can be confused with. The over-exposure of the pictures makes it harder too. The very least you need to do is make a spore print, which should be pink if you are correct. The fact there are other species (most notably Clitocybe dealbata - even if the habitat is different) that look very very close to this means you have to be absolutely certain beyond any doubt. Clitocybe dealbata also smells mealy by the way. Making things even more difficult.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Large Bolete, growing in open grassland on chalk soil. Anyone ident it?

Big mushroom for sure.

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Found this little selection in my woods and as a complete novice no idea what they are
WP_20150921_09_56_32_Pro[1].jpg
The underside
WP_20150921_09_57_29_Pro[1].jpg
This was a bit more light brown on the outer skin, it was about 5cm wide for size reference
WP_20150921_10_02_18_Pro[1].jpg
One cluster on an old oak/ash old rotted trunk section
WP_20150921_10_13_20_Pro[1].jpg
A small cluster wood unknown
WP_20150921_10_16_23_Pro[1].jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks. Google images show many different Boletus radicans, only a few show the cracked cap. This one did stain blue, and didn't smell too good when I walked by again today and took a slice off the cap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE