Budget Wetsuit advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildworld

Jun 8, 2013
Surrey
Hi everyone!:)
I want to do some wild swimming and need a wet suit as I really feel the cold!:eek:
Anyone have any advice on where to go and try on a selection to get a good fit? I'm on a budget so it's also where to get one that's not going to be too expensive but does the job? May also use it for kayaking. I'm based in Surrey.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What I know about wet suits would comfortably fit on the back of a postage stamp if you wrote it with a chisel point marker, but I noticed that they're doing them in Aldi or Lidl or somewhere like that soon,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Wildword,

If it's going to be used for kayaking too I'd go for sleeveless as it'll chafe less and be a lot more comfortable. Don't go super, super tight as circulation can get cut off, especially kneeling in a boat and that'll make you cold and uncomfortable. Maybe think about 5mm if you really feel the cold. Doesn't look as cool and Spiderman outfitty as 3mm but it'll keep you warmer in the blinking cold UK waters.

Maybe also look at a neoprene skull cap, gloves and booties. Keeps the extremities a bit warmer and will protect your hands and feet if there's sharp rocks about.

Most canoe shops will have a budget range, especially if you're not too focused on styling. Don't know much about the Aldi/Lidl one's apart from the one's I've seen being only 3mm.

Also look at the adverts in canoe mags, there's usually adds for cheap new suits from manufacturers. (Unless you want to go down the 2nd hand previously pee'd in route?)

Have fun,

GB.

wildworld

Jun 8, 2013
Surrey
Thanks for the advice GB :)
Don't think I'll go for secondhand - you kind of put me off! :eek: Also may be difficult find one the right size.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When I did my scuba training in the sea off Devon 55 years ago, wet suits were unknown and dry suits too expensive for a 17 year old. Instead, we used wool sweaters: it may sound bizarre, but it did keep a layer of warmer water next to the skin.

By the way, is wild swimming what I call swimming but not in a pool?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When I did my scuba training in the sea off Devon 55 years ago, wet suits were unknown and dry suits too expensive for a 17 year old. Instead, we used wool sweaters: it may sound bizarre, but it did keep a layer of warmer water next to the skin.

By the way, is wild swimming what I call swimming but not in a pool?

Hi Oldtimer,

Yup it's basically swimming in lochs, rivers, tarns, the sea anywhere outside that its safe to do so. Took a wee bit of a rise in popularity after Professor Alice Roberts did a wee program on it - mainly amongst males for some reason :rolleyes: LINK

I used to kayak/swim (I seem to do both at once!) wearing wooly jumpers or my Buffalo top to supplement my wetsuit. Though these days its a drysuit all the way.

wildworld

Jun 8, 2013
Surrey
Thanks for all the advice. Not sure a wet wooly jumper would be sufficient to stop me from getting hypothermic, but may give it a try as an experiment!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE