Your views on this Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
I would just like your views on this knife. Do you guys own any knives like this and if so do you use it.

A bit scary and Rambo I know,but I have had it since I was 21, for my 21st birthday so I will not get rid of.

Would you use a knife like this in the woods.

DPP_0001.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0003.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0005.jpg

If I can for a bit of fun does any one know what make of knife this is, obviously I do but thought it would add some fun to my original question.:D:D:D

Cheers
Mike

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Looks like an Aitor Jungle King to me.

Also, I'd not use it given a choice.
I don't find the round handle particularly comfortable in prolonged use, and I don't like saw backed blades.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
It is.. It's the Aitor jungle king II It should also have a small pullout insert with catapult rubbers etc. The irony about this knife is that you are ALWAYS told never to buy a hollow handled knife because of the weak tang (in this case joined to the handle with a small roller pin)... However I had the original Jungle King, Sargey on here has one that I know of and to be brutally honest, they're pretty good and don't tend to break during normal use. The small skinning knife cum bottle opener is an upgrade of the original fishing spear and comes in very handy....

Jungle King II complete....

1277410122_101682053_1-CUCHILLO-AITOR-JUNGLE-KING-CON-TODOS-SUS-ACCESORIOSORIGINALMEDA-IN-EEC-CENTRO-1277410122.jpg

The original Jungle king had a small harpoon instead of a skinner (bottom of pic)

aitorjk16.jpg

Really good write up on them here too.........

http://www.donrearic.com/aitor.html

Last edited:

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Spot on Graham, its exactly that.

I think I agree with you as to use, but as I said earlier I will keep it as my parents bought it me when I was 21 so has some sentimental value to me. Probably worth about £30.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
If I had one of those, I doubt I would use it in the woods as it's neither that comfortable in use as has been stated, but also because I think I'd give it a bit of a clean up and sharpen and then display or store it for posterity. Something to show the grandkids ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I had an explora at one point (I gave it away to someone, who was delighted with it)
As I recall, the Aitor had decent blade steel, and took a good edge.
As to the construction, I found it to be quite robust, the roll pin made a nice strong join.
My cutting katana has bamboo pins holding it together so I'm not worried.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably but not my first choice. I like the blade shape and the sheath but not the hollow handle. I'm not worried about the strength cause as you said it's just not that big a deal in normal use (oddly though I think it would be a big deal under the conditions this type of knife is designed for). The hollow handle knives just "feel" wrong in my hand. The saw back isn't a big deal either way in normal use; I'm not going to be cutting myself out of a crashed airplane but they really don't get in my way either. As you said though, you have an attachment to it and that in itself is a reason not to use it. Save it as a family heirloom.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I would use it yes, if it cuts and does what you want it to do then why not. I think your reasons for using it are admirable, and imo that is much more important that going with the "NORM"

Is it the most effecient bush knife? No but neither is it the most inefficient

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Like others have said, If it's the only knife available to them ( in a survival situation), They would use it, as would i, probably.

But having said that, It's not a Knife i would have in my collection. T.B.H, I think they are Ugly Knives, Associated with O.T.T Rambo-esque films, Where they only thing that is remembered of the film is "The Knife" and what it's used for. Hence the reason why some people buy them.

Yeah They are passed off as a survival knife these days,only because they come with a compass, needle and thread etc :rolleyes: If the old bill stopped you with that concealed in your Rucksack, I think they'd take a rather more dimmer view than say, if you were carrying a Mora or a Helle.

Just My opinion:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE