your thoughts on h13 tool steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I was looking at metals again and came across h13 tool steel. I was wondering what areyour thoughts onthis steel, fo a bladed edge. it is not technically stainless at 5% chrome, it should resist corrosion, ony becoming stained, and has a low carbon content at 0.5%. along with a good dose of molybendium it looks like a modernish type. applications are upwards in the heat range, what stops manufacturers utilising this sort of steel.

http://www.westyorkssteel.com/tool-steel/h13/

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's a blacksmiths steel. h13 is great for making hot working tools such as punches and cutters fo forge work; it stays hard at very high temps where other steels soften and get stuck in our work. BUT I wouldn't bother with it for a knife. It has very specific forging and heat treating requirements and wouldn't make a great cutting tool, its also much more expensive than most other spring and tool steels.

There are plenty of other 0.5C spring steels out there that are cheaper, easier to work with and will hold a better room temperature edge ;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well thanks for that dave. it does look like a useful and interesting steel. if you didn't want stainless and didn't mind staining of the metal,but we're not satisfied with 01s oxidising qualities what sort of iron content would you go for ? carbon content a variable with application.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there are literally hundreds of steels that can be used for blades, O1 is only used because it is cheap, easy to find in small precision ground pieces and StMears has his early ones made from it.

Some will resist patination better, but the blade finish makes a big difference even with the same steel (for example my forged finished O1 blades look the same yeas after manufacture, but the satin finished look different and so do the polished ones). Steels should be chosen for other qualities such as resistance to wear and shock, how fine the edge will get too or toothyness, then ease or method of manufacture, etc.

Silver Steel (BS1407) holds a better edge than O1 and doesn't rust quite as much. 52100 likewise and is tougher, so does cs80crv2. Other steels that aren't as good edge holding but tougher than O1 include EN42, cs70cr, EN9/EN43, EN11, cs70. They are just the ones that I use. 15n20 (or 75ni8) have a bit of nickel and are often used for the bright layer in pattern welded blades, so will resist corrosion better than O1, it is a spring steel of 0.7-0.8% carbon and very tough, but only found in thin section (I have it in about 1.6mm).

If you are after semi stainless and good edge holding then you are looking at D2, D6, etc. They are not really forgable and require pretty special heat treat but are very good steels that can be found relatively easily from the various metal sellers. Similarly A2 I believe is fairly rust resistant as well as a great tool steel, again heat teat issue for home use.

I would give up on West Yorks though. They list every steel under the sun, hold very little in stock and charge a fortune for it! Try Argent, Barmond or Furnival, much cheaper, have good ranges of steel and are very helpful.

Are you looking to make something yourself, or is this just academic interest? If you plan to make then how are you going to make the blade and what sort of kit do you have? It might have a bearing on which steels are better for you ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE