Your opinions on the best army parka/cold weather jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just wondering if there are any options I haven't considered yet. I have a Dutch army parka that I gave had for 9 years now but I'm looking for something else. The Dutch do a combat smock with a fur and gortex lining that you button in, for a short time they were produced in olive green (I have a pic but gave never worked out how to put them up here??). A site called 'mean and green' had them a while ago but no longer and I can't find them anywhere else. I'd like something with four pockets and a waist sinch cord. Before people mention the US, German and Swedish parkas they have all been considered and rejected for various reasons. Any more ideas out there?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Wore my Sasquatch under both 95 jacket and arktis smock. The army has a fad for lanyard items in pockets though. Depends what you choose to wear it for. I ineherited a Falkands parka which got passed on when i left Canterbury. Now that really was a parka worth it for stagging on.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Nothing is wrong with them. I have a dutch army parker which is very similar to the German, so that's why I have discounted that. The Swedish parka only has two outer pocket, as does the US one. Also I find with the US one that the outer material is not as thick as the dutch/german coats.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Here's a different option. A couple of years ago the missus, in an unusual show of affection got me a Ben Sherman cotton winter parka with a separate zip in quilted jacket from Tkmax, if you can find one I highly recommend them, I have never even come close to being cold in it and it's held up well to plenty of abuse, living as it does in my outdoors work shed. With the zip out quilted inner its pretty versatile giving you 2 jackets. I think they were quite expensive, a couple of hundred ish, but obviously not when got at tk's.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
The old M65 fishtail Parka (Mod parka) with liner superb, remove faux fur and get wolf or coyote. Remove the liner and have a good spring/ autumn smock

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a Swedish M90 parka which does the job of keeping me warm beautifully. They're pretty readily available and don't break the bank: I think mine was about thirty quid. The polycotton outer isn't waterproof but when it gets really chilly, it's going to snow anyway, so... Great kit and good value.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
my vote is the Swedish Parka with hood and liner - military mart has them at £11 grade 1 with the hood @ £2.50. I like the German Flektarn/Goretex parka when combined with liner too, but the liner is not button in which is a pain when you take it off in a dark tent.

J

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
My vote would go to the Swedish M59 parka, military mart are doing them for £11 including liner. I like the German flektarn parka when combined with liner (nice neck baffle) but doesn't button in which is a pain.

J

Dec 2, 2013
Gloucester UK
I have a US Army ECWCS Gen II Goretex Parka and that has 6 pockets. Can still pick them up new from a few places if lucky.
I love it, tough and reliable.

The Gen III ones have less pockets for some strange reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE