Young new bushcrafter!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok so, here is my story.

I'm 14 years old and I want to get into bushcraft for a few reasons:

I'm a scout and I have been from the minimum age you can join them at 5 or 6 years old (I'm not sure, don't quote me on that!) and obviously I am therefore interested in the outdoors.

While I am writing this I am sitting on a balcony of my hotel in Saigon, Vietnam (I'm on holiday) and the noise and amount of people and the smell and the pollution just makes me want to run into a forest somewhere and forget all modern civilisation!

The biggest reason, is I recently finished reading a series of fictional books set in Europe in the Stone Age (before farming, the wheel, metal and writing reached this area of the world). It was about a young boy and girl about my age and the detail of all the things they did to survive like hunting, foraging, for berries, tracking etc. was fascinating, and really inspired me to learn these skills and try it myself!

So I have a few questions.

First, what equipment would you recommend for me starting off with bushcraft(and where to buy it, I live in Hertfordshire), bearing in mind I'm only 14 so my budget isn't big at all. I have a few things that may be useful, from being a scout and army cadet like Swiss Army knife, full British army Dpm(woodland camouflage), British army webbing and pouches and a .177 air rifle.

Second, how and where can I get bushcraft training (again, near Hertfordshire) or is it best just to go into a forest and discover for yourself?

Finally, what laws are there against hunting and other bushcraft things?

Now I just want to say, my ultimate goal, I know it sounds very cheesy, is to be able to go into a forest somewhere and just live "off the land" without any modern technology, and no noisy, polluted cities!

Thanks for reading and sorry for the massive amounts of text, help would highly appreciated! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE